can anyone identify today's mystery speaker?

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
So... this was today's find at the dump. One speaker. slope-front enclosure, sealed box three-way. Metal-dome tweeter (looks familiar), coated-paper cone MR and polypropylene-looking woofer (original? who knows...) Wood veneer over MDF. Double banana jacks on the back. Not a single identifying mark on it.

The cabinet shape is making me think of Thiele. Anyone here able to ID this speaker?

And I wonder why there was only one...? :)

another angle

I realize the first photo doesn't show the shape of the cabinet. Try this one... the speaker in the background is one of my Polk Monitor 7A's, FWIW.

Originally posted by mhardy6647
So... this was today's find at the dump. One speaker. ......

And I wonder why there was only one...? :)

Some mono enthusiast beat you to them! :D

I scored a DVD player that also does MP-3 and other stuff, a nice perfect condition summer window shaker and the smallest microwave oven I've ever seen today at the dump. When speakers show up at this one they are always trash except I got a nice pair of cabinets once with pooched drivers. I plan to re-driver them and use 'em in our radio observatory control room to listen to cosmic static in hi-fidelity.

I think I recall one of the speaker kit companies -- Audio Concepts maybe? -- had a model rather like it. That would explain the lack of logos etc.

Yes, I think that's an Audio Concepts kit speaker. The woofer is one of their house brand drivers - stamped steel basket, plastic cone, rubber surround. I have 4 x 12" versions of these woofers in a box somewhere to build a pair of the Audio Concepts isobaric loaded subwoofers, never got around to building them.

Billfort

Yeah, that's an ACI kit. Cruisaire has a pair of those.

IIRC, AC-10 woofer, Vifa M10MD39 midrange (thought it was an Audax, but then realized that with the rubber surround, it had to be the Vifa), SEAS H425 (IIRC) dome tweeter. Great speaker.

Heck, you might wanna offer that one to Cruisaire... maybe he might wanna do the front 3 channels of an HT system with 3 of them? :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Nice one MRH, too damn bad someone got the other one. Would be cool to have a pair. This is a sweet loudspeaker and it should be to your liking. My pair are "solid" plywood. Put new Parts Express 10" surrounds on last month. Left the innards alone. I haven't found a source for the foam around the tweeter (Gordon, I'm still looking for the 1/4" felt), but at least now I know what the grills look like. I run mine "naked" in the office system Kenwood KT-6006 (48ish wpc) integrated, KT-6005 tuner and the Tandberg TCD 310.

Enjoy

:bigok: :bigok: :bigok:

Hmm... tried to post last night, but apparently failed.

Thanks for the input... I KNEW you all'd know!

It sounds good, sort of... a little tizzy at the top, and a little thumpy on the bottom. The Polks sound more neutral to me (but I've been living with them for longer than with my wife...).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind finding its lost mate, either...

alternatively, anyone want one speaker? Pick up only... but free as is :)

Just saw your "foam around the tweeter" comment, Mr. C-aire...
I have quite a collection (imagine that!) of dense foam similar to the stuff in the photo in the basement (salvaged packing material -- only the best!). I can look to see if there's some of similar physical properties (I'm bettin' there is) and I can send you a hunk. PM me if you're interested.

Ciao!

Back
Top Bottom