Can anyone tell me if these transistor looks burnt?

PooPoo

Can anyone tell me if these transistor looks burnt? And if so what to replace them with?
Top one looks black is it fried? This is for the 2270 later Serial # model
IMG_5547.JPG

I don't see anything in that picture that looks burnt. If a transistor is "fried" normally there is an associated symptom.

Is there a problem, or just fishing for one?

Both power amps blown, relay doesn't click and after power up heat sinks starts getting really hot very fast and blows the fuse

You guys don't think that middle one is a bit dark looks like I can wipe it down and the color will look like the other ones. Burnt? image.jpg

The highlighted yellow part is the transistor. The rest, indicated by the red marks is just the metal heat sink. It helps keep the transistor cool.

Its color is not an indication of whether or not the transistor is good.

The circuit board area under and around the transistor is not discolored as it would be if the transistor had been operated at high temperatures.

The transistor may be good or bad. It cannot be judged by the heat sink color.

Below is a picture of the transistor without the heat sink.

upload_2017-7-25_21-33-42.png

You need to use a DMM or one of the component device testers to the test the transistor.

The highlighted yellow part is the transistor. The rest, indicated by the red marks is just the metal heat sink. It helps keep the transistor cool.

Its color is not an indication of whether or not the transistor is good.

The circuit board area under and around the transistor is not discolored as it would be if the transistor had been operated at high temperatures.

The transistor may be good or bad. It cannot be judged by the heat sink color.

Below is a picture of the transistor without the heat sink.

View attachment 973804

You need to use a DMM or one of the component device testers to the test the transistor.
Ahhh I see now thanks, will test it when I get home and let you know.

A hard failed transistor will be open or shorted and not dissipating that much.
So, the transistor getting very hot is probably still working (more or less). Other ones being shorted or open will make it run hot.

About the heatsink although it looks just different color to me, does not exclude you from being right, at all.
It could have been discolored heated up a few hundred degrees anyway.
It is the "pitfall" of assuming.....:confused:

At least, do not expect the problem to be solved by replacing that one transistor only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom