1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Can Cap Replacement

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Fairlane, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just received me kit from Hayseed Hamfest and have a question in dealing with the twist lock legs
    on the original cans and the soldering done to lock them in place.

I assume I need a flame thrower iron to melt that area and suck or wick it out. Job seems pretty straight forward except for this part. Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Updated my 800C a few years ago and its still running the original cans but I figured it was time to update them as well so I bit the bullet and decided to do the job but admit it seems a little intimidating dealing with the soldered grounds.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. asech

asech AK Subscriber Subscriber

A good old Weller soldering iron and the copper wick that Tom throws in the kit should do the trick...

3. Fairlane

Thanks for the reply.

Like the trigger gun type we grew up with asech?

4. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

You can use the gun for de-Soldering and soldering can caps. But don't use it for everyday use. Get a 45W Iron with an assrtment of tips available and use the big chisel tip for stuff like this and a smaller chisel tip (1/8 or so) for finer stuff.

5. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I hate to admit it, but I wondered what that wick in the H-H kits was for, until now. Life is for learning, I guess!

6. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

It takes a big iron to do the chassis solder work.

I found “Big Bertha”, a 100w Weller solder iron years ago in a yard sale. I don’t need her much but when I do, she always comes in handy.

The gun type Weller will do but Bertha kicks them to the curb.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Fairlane

Thanks for the advice guys. I have got a good soldering station for everything else.

Knew though I would need something like a "Big Bertha" to do the Chasis. Will look around and see what I can source locally.

Got the cardboard cap done last night but it had no chasis soldered lugs so it was easy.:thumbsup:

8. Fairlane

Thought I would update my post. Bought a Weller gun that operates at 140 or 100 watts that is controlled by a two stage trigger. Did the trick getting the solder hot enough and made short work soldering the new tabs to the chasis.

Will say that this is not a job for the faint of heart and glad this will not have to be done again in my life time. :thumbsup:

For the record testing the cans that came out were basically spot on and well with in 10% tolerance with the exception on the cardboard covered one which is supposed to be 200uf
    but it only measured 125. It sounded great before but sounds even better now I think. The slightest of hum I had at idle is now gone so this was worth the effort.

Thanks for the iron advice everyone.

AlTinkster92 likes this.