Can electrolyte black leakage bulge

jertub

Electrolyte is light colored, similar to a leaking alkaline battery? Then this hard black stuff pushing thru the gaps and bulging the top is probably some sort of insulator or adhesive? Is this capacitor ready to fail violently?

20171113_170536.jpg

I wouldn't trust it. If its original its time to replace it anyway. You can use a new cap can or use new individual caps to replace the multi cap can. Some will do this and leave the old can unconnected and left on the chassis to look original. What are the values of the sections in the cap? You should be able to find one the same or close.

It does look like the seal is being pushed out. Ive had a few old screw top caps with the little rubber vent plug popped out pretty far compared to a new one. That cap may have been getting pretty hot, ready to blow. Have any of the sections tested as being shorted out?

None were short, it was pulled from a working amp. The top is bulged a bit. All the sections measured pretty high but I know there is likely a large tolerance but I don't know what that would be.

So that's the sealing material then, not the electrolyte.

Some of those can type caps used tar to hold everything in place so it could be that as well. Either way, rubber or tar being shoved out due to internal pressure isn't a good indicator for that cap.

Back
Top Bottom