Can ESLs handle all genres?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ridgeway, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ridgeway

ridgeway New Member

I'm looking at speakers and narrowing down the list. I've always wanted some Martin Logan ESLs, but I quite enjoy hip hop and pop music. Would Martin Logan ESLs happily pump out some loud rap/pop, or is that pushing them beyond their comfort zone?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

When I saw the subject, I immediately thought that they would be less than ideal for hip hop. If you're looking for loudness, stick to dynamic speakers.

3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

My ESL's (Acoustat) play plenty loud. They are rated to produce 110dB @ 18' in a 14' x 22' room.

4. E-Stat

E-Stat Addicted Member

With enough panel area and power behind them, sure. Small panel models will need reinforcement at the low end via subwoofers as I use with the HT system.

5. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Which model ESLs? Some have cone woofers to augment the ESL.

6. frommerstop

frommerstop Super Member

I think all current MLs except their totl CLX Art ($25,495 pr) are hybrids, using cones for bass, 'stats for highs. That in itself isn't a big deal, most box speakers use more than one driver & a crossover, done right the drivers will blend cleanly, and ML does a good job in that area. I'm not a big fan of ML because of the way they don't support older models, but they do play loud enough, and with enough bass authority to serve well on rock, large scale classical, or yes, even hip hop.

As mentioned above, with ESLs, it's all about panel area... as long as the panel's big enough, or augumented with a cone, they can deliver all the impact you could want. Peronally, I'd suggest a 3, or 4 panel model of Acoustat over any of the MLs - way more bang for your buck, and proven better durability.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. ridgeway

ridgeway New Member

No model in particular. I'm on the lookout for a speaker bargain, and "martin logan" is one of my search terms at the moment. My budget will only allow a lower-end model

With regards to panel area- is a large panel capable of producing bass without subwoofer augmentation?