Can I Amplify an 85WPC Receiver?

Amplifiers are not 100% efficient. For a typical Class AB amp you're looking at maybe 50%. The difference goes up as heat.
Heat, huh?
Well that makes sense, but I was hoping the energy was reincarnating into something better and more useful, like improved modern musical talent, maybe.

What are you using for speakers and what size room ? I assume classic rock is what you are playing ?

Give this a listen, this will give you a good idea about speaker efficiency.

I like classic rock, modern rock, techno, and blues.
It's a living room that opens onto a dining room, totaling approximately 500 sqft.
My speakers are a pair of Fishers I bought around 1985. They could double as coffins for a pair of 13yr olds. So ridiculously large, with 15" woofers.
They get crappy reviews, but I've always thought they were OK. It's sometimes challenging to get any kind of crisp separation and really clean sharp highs, but my equalizer helps.
But yeah. Daddy needs a new set of speakers.

And a good audiologist.
I don't blast my stereo up to 11 all night long.
It's like wanting a very powerful car. It doesn't mean I intend to break the sound barrier every time I go the grocery store, but on those rare occasions that I need that kind of power, it's quite disappointing to find it isn't there.
Sometimes I just get a wild hair in a delicate spot and I just have to feel the music pounding against my ribs for a few minutes.
It's probably all the mushroom and acid-saturated illegal underground raves I frequented in Detroit in the 90s, where I danced on enormous thundering speakers and tasted the colors of every pounding beat that still makes me crave a good musical thrashing once in a while.

This would give you that

Cerwin-Vega XLS-215 Dual 3-Way Home Audio Floor Tower Speaker

Performance Data
  • Frequency Response 38 Hz - 20 kHz (-3 dB), 36 Hz - 20 kHz (-10 dB)
  • Power Capacity: 500 watts (Peak)
  • Sensitivity in SPL: 95.3 dB (@ 8 ohms @ 1 meter full)
  • Impedance: 6 ohms
  • Crossover Frequencies: 280 Hz / 2.4 kHz
  • Weight 116 lb. / 52.6 kg
  • Dimensions (HxWxD) 49.7" x 17" x 21.1" (1260 mm x 430 mm x 535 mm)

This would give you that

Performance Data

Don't forget one of these:

http://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-2502

Sometimes I just get a wild hair in a delicate spot and I just have to feel the music pounding against my ribs for a few minutes.
It's probably all the mushroom and acid-saturated illegal underground raves I frequented in Detroit in the 90s, where I danced on enormous thundering speakers and tasted the colors of every pounding beat that still makes me crave a good musical thrashing once in a while.

Then you need to do something like this:

IMG_0780.JPG

5207.jpeg

5209.jpeg

Last edited:
This would give you that

Performance Data
Oh sure. For the bargain price of just $1500.
Do you know how much blood I'd have to sell to scrape up that kinda cheddar?

My advice is to forget about receivers unless you listen to a lot of radio you're wasting money on features you don't need. Put your money into an integrated or straight amplifier. Then replace your speakers. I'm not bashing your Fishers but you can do better. Honestly if you upgrade the gear you won't have to push the volume as much. What you will hear will be cleaner and clearer with less distortion. Those are good things and your ears will be happier as well.

Oh sure. For the bargain price of just $1500.
Do you know how much blood I'd have to sell to scrape up that kinda cheddar?

Actually I don't, you haven't mentioned a budget. And I really have no idea what you would be willing to spend for LOUD. There are many different way to achieve your goal. I hope you find the way that is right for you, have a good night.

Actually I don't, you haven't mentioned a budget. And I really have no idea what you would be willing to spend for LOUD. There are many different way to achieve your goal. I hope you find the way that is right for you, have a good night.
Sorry. I guess I may have sounded snotty there.
I typed it laughingly, in good spirit, but sometimes that doesn't translate in print.

You could connect them together at line level so the same source signal goes to both and have 85wpc for one pair of speakers and 45wpc for another pair of speakers (a separate pair of speakers connected to each amp).

But, the power of each receiver/amp is not additive, per se, to the other.
Hey, I just had an idea.
What if I just stack my 55wpc Sony STR V4 on the Pioneer SX950, split my tablet cable to stream my music to both receivers at the same time, and run two speakers off of each, sort of like a twin engine boat?
When I want to blow the roof off, I can just fire up the second receiver & speakers & let it all rip.
That should work, right?

tonally it could be a big help . wont be any more real power . it doesn't add up like that .. give it a try and you might be pleasantly surprised .
it can be like both amps are sharing the load if done correctly .

I have a pair of Wharfedales I just picked up that sport two 12" woofers, two mids and two tweets per speaker. Ten watts can get sort of loud. Push 30 to 50 and they get really, really loud. The more efficient the speaker the less power you will need to push them. As posted above look for 95db or better efficiency. You will probably find speakers cheaper than the price of a bigger amplifier. And a more powerful amp doesn't always equal a better sound.

85 WPC is nothing to sneeze at, just use an efficient speaker and you'll have plenty of volume. Then get the bigger SX later.
Seems to me you need more efficient speakers, and really you might want to look into a pair of used PA cabs.
BTW if you think amplifiers waste energy you might be really disappointed to know that a speaker wastes up to 99% of that energy as heat.

My advice is to forget about receivers unless you listen to a lot of radio you're wasting money on features you don't need. Put your money into an integrated or straight amplifier. Then replace your speakers. I'm not bashing your Fishers but you can do better. Honestly if you upgrade the gear you won't have to push the volume as much. What you will hear will be cleaner and clearer with less distortion. Those are good things and your ears will be happier as well.
You're so right.
I need to stop defending my crappy speakers.
They did pretty well with my 90s blackface crap cuz they were designed with that crap in mind, but they just can't properly translate the fine signals of good vintage equipment. Am I right?

Back
Top Bottom