Can I bitch about an ebay loser here?

J

JimDimmedEm

Don't want to break any rules here, but boy I'd sure like to vent about this loser...

Jim

Since many of us use use the bay for buying and selling equipment, if you had a bad experience. I think you should let everyone know about it.

I think it would be ok, if it is audio related, you keep to the facts and don't over do the flames.

X

Thanks Punker, will keep it civil. But the story is kinda long and begins with a big bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1384823239&rd=1

Sounds great right?

Well, I got a mint Pioneer receiver all right, just barely, with some undisclosed fin damage, minor but present nonetheless, no pre/main jumpers, but the best part involved the shipping...It is a tribute to Pioneer's over-engineering in the 70s that saved its life after this guys ride. I am convinced!!

First, after he shipped it he sends me the Mailboxes Etc order number, useless info, and stalls me the whole trip on providing a UPS tracking number. Claimed he didn't know what it was, yet later he claims he has years experience shipping audio gear.
For my $89 total shipping and handling charge, I got a 75 lb SX-1250 stuffed into an old IBM computer monitor box designed for gear half that size and weight. Box was worn and bulging when I got it, held together with shipping tape wrapped all around it!

Here's the best part, absolutely no protection for the face of this beautiful receiver!!! When I opened the box the unit had obviously shifted so many times that the SINGLE sheet of bubble wrap in the front, the only bubble wrap in the whole box, was hanging loose. It was all done in styrofoam, no plastic bag to protect the unit, no bubble wrap, just unbelievable! Less than 2 inches before switch and knob meet box wall!!!! Here's his response when I confronted him:

"Hello Jim, I'm sincerely sorry you are not pleased with my handling of things, I will try to reply to your thoughts....
I have looked again at the MBE paperwork. There is nothing on what I was given, front or back, with any
infomation other than what I provided you. All insured packages are protected completely in the event of a
shipping issue. Your unit was fully insured,covered, trackable, and never in danger of being lost without
recourse."

Oh really? Then you must have known about UPS tracking number, so how come I never got it? His BS continues...

"On the packing, this was a very difficult item to find a box for. The size of the 1250 was just outside the
normal sizes in some measurement...for boxes commonly
available. I used the box you received because it was a commercially acceptable box which would do the job. "

Ay yah. Boxes are available at any UPS office to ship heavy electronic equipment. Just received a 9090DB in a brand new UPS box with dimensions well inside UPS/FedEx limitations for Ground. And the Sansui is much smaller and lighter than the SX.

Here comes the hocus pocus and the smokescreen, hang on for the ride now....

"I hope you understand this often difficult next point but I assure you that it is valid. I have packed many pieces, sometimes what seems like firmer,safer,packing actually puts a piece in greater danger. A too
firm material just transfers force and movement. Had I put anything too firm on the front side, a blow would have been transfered, no matter what was put there short of a wood frame, and the delicate switches, etc would have been damaged for sure. This
is why many commercially designed package formats use airspace to protect fragile areas. If double boxed, this force issues is still just as
important.. especially on a heavy piece. In addition, the UPS size/weight limits for ground would have been
exceeded to boot and this package would have had much higher shipping costs. This was not necessary.
The approach taken was to suspend the unit from its sides top and back, insure any movement was slight and
gentle,and hold it away and off at the front. Two inches is fine with the proper protection, where needed. Most speakers are shipped with less. The 1250 was surrounded by styrofoam. This is what protects contents, not the box. Bubble wrap is useless on a
heavy item. During shipment, with any shifting, the bubbles will burst and the contents will find themselves loose and unprotected. This unit was not
wrapped in bubble wrap because this would guarantee it would not arrive safely given its weight. That the box arrived worn and battered, without damage to the piece, I hope validates these points. This has been my experience over many years. I would not take a chance with this unit.
Jim, I honestly do not understand your references to the $15 dollars charged for packing. The materials alone cost near $9 dollars, not counting the box
(usually about $7-8 in this size) and labor. The charge is less than most charge for small light items all the time on eBay and far less that any packer
would charge."

My reply:

"As far as the boxing goes, most of what you say is pure nonsense. Your
box is designed for a computer monitor, which is smaller and weighs a
fraction of the 1250. This explains the bloated box, not your pseudo-scientific nonsense. Ever hear of overload? How about use the right tool for the job? It was difficult to find a box? Any UPS office has boxes available for shipping heavy electronic equipment, sized
30.5" x 26.5" x 18", perfect for a receiver like this. Any serious
experienced shipper of expensive heavy audio gear knows this. I just
received a Sansui 9090DB perfectly packaged in one last week, and the
Sansui is much smaller and lighter than the 1250. This box is common
and well within UPS and FedEx Ground size restrictions. I would
describe for you in vivid detail how it was properly packaged, wrapped
in plastic to prevent tape from contacting the unit, and the triple
bubble wrap treatment, which is invaluable when combined with the nice styrofoam basket it was cradled in on four sides and top, the heavy
cardboard shims protecting sides and front/back. But you believe your
method is more than adequate. Interesting how your feedback indicates at least one other buyer feels the same way I do about your packing
jobs. Again given your experience how could you not know how poor it
really is. Please knock off the pseudo-scientific hocus pocus and look
at the reality. I never asked for double boxing so there is no weight
issue here. Single boxing, properly done, is more than adequate."

If you wade thru his deflecting nonsense, here's what he is really saying....and I quote from my reply to him...

"Weeding thru the smokescreen here, the truth is you did the bare
minimum you could and were so unsure of it you wouldn't hand over the UPS tracking number. It was on the damn label man. And you sent it UPS
thru MBE, charging the highest premium possible. By chance I received
it, and in one piece. When you inevitably trash some big ticket item
for someone else, then perhaps you'll wake up and clean up your act.

I see you did not post positive feedback for me right after receiving
my very fast payment as most folks would have, but now I see you were
waiting to see if I even got it so you could respond in defense. Defense is not a wise position to hold on ebay my friend.

Post or not, but I will take a day or two to review this situation and
let you know how I will proceed. "

Now what do I do? I have never received or given negative feedback. Since unit is undamaged by sheer luck, the only other issues are the fin scratches and the missing pre/main U jumpers. Part of me wants to post negative and take the hit in return. I just don't think I got what he described. And I think if it had been lost, he would have not produced a tracking number. And the damage potential...I don't like to gamble with gear I collect, just with the Texas Lottery.

Pretty long I know but definitivedan really messed with the wrong buyer!
Beware of him...

Any advice I'm all ears...

Jim

Hey JimDimmedEm,

How does it feel to know you got screwed!! $89 ???

But don't feel alone, .... Well join the crowd!! I've gotten the same thing too!!! Several times. (but never that much money)

You were extremley lucky the receiver wasn't seriously damaged.

I have found that the majority (maybe 75%) of sellers don't package properly, and some get mad when I send my email requesting the right kind of packaging.

I usually pay extra maybe $10 more for better packaging.

You may want to file a complaint with ebay, and try to get some restitution, but may not be worth it, considering the lack of damage.

I would maybe file a "neutral" feedback, and say the packaging cost was $89, and was not adequately or professionaly done. May get the same back, but ??

Here's my recent ebayer that tried to pull a scam and claim all kinds of defects on a receiver.

"jjcbot"

He bought a receiver and after receiving it (undamaged), he started claiming this and that didn't work right, ...and that also wasn't right, ...etc. etc

I responded the first time and was nice about the deal, asked him some questions, thinking maybe it got damaged when shipped.

(I didn't think there was anything actually wrong, because I thoroughly test it when I do the restore, and give it a quick audio test it again just before I pack it up.)

He comes back with a long, long second e-mail, now quoting repair rates for his tech, for fixing relays, etc, etc. His tech can't get to it for a couple of months, but, but, ...... (he won't send it back though)
He quoted stuff out of my auction description, and said this about it, and that... it went on and on. Said a knob was too tight ???

He's got my attention now, so I go to his feedback, and see a recent negative from another seller. I sent an email to the other seller, and asked what the deal was, and got back just what I expected.

This buyer "jjcbot" trying to pull the same scam, and claim defects, wanting money back for repairs, but won't return the unit to the seller.

I sent "jjcbot" back an email, telling him to return it, if it was that bad, and I would refund the auction price (no shipping refund)

I told him, that he conveniently, ignored the terms and conditions of the auction, when he emailed all the quotes from my auction, and his many complaints.

I also copied my auction "terms and conditions" which say it was sold "as is", not DOA guarantee, but no other electronic or cosmetic guarantees. By bidding the auction he accepted the terms.

Haven't heard from him since. Maybe two weeks ago.

I haven't left ANY feedback yet. Waiting to see what he may do now. I don't think he wants another negative. (has about a 30 feedback)

So go the wars on Ebay !

Last edited:
I know what you mean, by not good packageing, BUT, one thing to realize with ebay, if you didn't send feedback yet, and you leave negitve, you will get the same, so tell yourself, is it worth it (maybe neatual is something to think about, dosn't count for or against him, and since you got your item, but not good shipping, then that would be great

best packageing i got, was with my Kenwood KR-8010, I got it about a month and a half ago, paid $45 for it (the pre-amp is damged, and there is a mechanical linkage that broke, but great cosmetic condition, full wood case, and great power amp section, along with a great tuner) and i paid $15 for shipping (thing weighed 44lbs.) (he lived in CT. i live in NY) now, the thing was in a big box, bubble wrap all around it, stryofoam, and foam peanut thingys, in the box (buddle wrap was wrapped around the unit) then, that box was placed in another box which was filled with peanuts. I thanked the guy soo much, and said he did a great job packageing (took me about 15-20 minutes to get through all the boxes and tape with my x-acto knife), that was a great packageing job.

now, my JBL L100's (bought off Audogon), they were in the same box, weighing about 100lbs. total, with just 3/4" styrofoam around them, and between them, when i opend them, the foam was in 3 millon pieces, and all over the speakers, luckly the speakers are not damged (some rounding on corners, but i don't know if they were like that) but i restored them, and 5 coats of polyurethane makes them really shiny :D

My one negative feedback was retailation for a nutrual feedback I left. He really should have got a negative, but I was a nice guy.

He sent me a Variac that wasn't the one pictured in the auction and the meters didn't work. I sent it back and he sent another on that had problems.

If you are going to do a netrual or Neg. Here's a trick. Wait for 90 days. Auctions are only held in Ebays database for 90 days. At the last minute leave him the negative. But the time he tries to retailate the auction is out of the system and he can't respond.

X

Been there done that:
Mint SAE rack turned to @#$%
full_rack_thumb.jpg

how about this fine Yamaha
yamaha2_thumb.jpg

not to mention the Yamaha cassette sitting totally taken apart on the bench right now because it was packed for shit. Three of the four mounting post for the cassette mechanism are broken out, the capstan motor driver board is broken in half and the side of the case is pushed in about an inch. Will take time and patience but I think I can repair it - JB Weld and solder here I come.

Thanks guys :) for all your feedback, suggestions, and horror stories. I see what COULD have happened to my unit but fortunately did not. I was looking at the sickly box more closely today and originally thought it was a glass 15" computer monitor box. Nope.. Its a friggin 17" IBM FLAT PANEL box, those weight by conservative estimate maybe 20-25lbs????

I am in the composition stage of an email right now asking him to reimburse me a percentage of the shipping costs. If he says no I don't know if it's even worth pursuing with ebays mediation or even fraud protection. I have conceeded to him that the receiver, purchased for the bid price, is not in contention. I just had to calm down a bit and focus on the major issues. I will live with the minor flaws on my "9.8 superior specimen". Punker's idea of doing the ol snipe trick on feedback is sure interesting, but I think I'll wait to see what response I get to this latest volley...

All this bad karma and this could have been such a great thing if the guy would have just used common sense. Kinda takes away from appreciating the beauty of the piece I think...

Jim

Wardsweb, I can't believe someone actually sent an entire rack system like that in one box with no packing material. That's got to be the worst packing job I've ever seen. What did the seller say after you informed them of the condition it arrived in?

Dave

I got a jvc preamp that came from Florida to me Near Montreal UPS, extra charges from UPS were $89 plus what I had paid before. It was packed in a solid wood crate but with only 1/2" of styrofoam padding and about 1" of free space around it. Needless to say it cam damaged, the exterior was ok but the power supply pcb was cracked right down the middle.

A couple years ago I shipped a ariston rd11s to Boston, double boxed with the platter, headshell in their own boxes, enough bubble wrap and peanuts to choak a horse. The box measured 30X20X26 and was taped up to go through a tornado. The funny thing is the guy said it was destroyed when he got it, but he wouldn't return it and wouldn't send me a picture of it and the subject was dropped.

I had another auction recently where I waited for the money for 3 weeks but never got anything, I was just going through feedbacks and saw that this as$ %#ole had left me neutral feedback saying that I never contacted him. I emailed him and he said that he couldn't pay because he was bankrupt and couldn't buy anything, even though we was still bidding on a few other auctions.

Ebay would remove the feedback because it had my name in it but they would also remove any other feedback with my name as well. Don't bother trying to get anything from ebay because they don't care about it. Leave neutral but expect the same or just wait for the 90 days and leave it then but don't include any of his personal info and also don't use any profanity, if you do they will remove it.

Back
Top Bottom