Can I clean my volume knob with mass airflow cleaner? Kenwood KR-7600

My volume is a little scratchy and the right speaker isn't as loud as the left. I switched them around to make sure it wasn't the speaker. I don't have anything besides mass airflow sensor that may work right now. I figured if it is safe for that sensor then it may be safe for the Kenwood. Am I right?

Gut feeling says don't do it, anything designed to clean the intake of a vehicle has solvents to cut carbon, and the tracks in a pot are likely mostly carbon, so that sounds like a last resort kinda thing to me.

In a pinch CRC QD (in the electrical section of your local big box) is a great cleaner but doesn't have the magical deoxiding powers of Deoxit. I like to have some around because it's good for final hose down of dirty circuit boards. I would follow with some F5 if you use it on pots. Also, Guitar Center supposedly sells Caig products

I'm glad I asked. Is the difference in the volume level in each speaker most likely related to the volume control being dirty or something?

I'm glad I asked. Is the difference in the volume level in each speaker most likely related to the volume control being dirty or something?
It might, but can be another problem. The volume pot is a good place to start.

Remember to get F5 and not deoxit D5. One cleans and lubricates. The other cleans and destroys.

Back
Top Bottom