Can I get some Ipod savvy help?

That's what the seller meant when he said: "If you don't do that" (meaning plugging in the AC adapter) "the ipod will take" (a) "charge from" (the) "USB port just fine."

I misread or misunderstood his intention then I guess. I took it to mean "If you hadn't screwed with it trying to restore it, it would've charged just fine from the computer's USB.

Thanks for the correction and different view.

I just learned something that isn't in the DL manual. This icon that I keep seeing after trying to restore or reboot is the "very low battery" icon. That's what it shows before reverting back to the wall charger icon.

I've never seen an icon saying it's charging. That sounds to me like it's either the cable or the battery. I don't believe it to be in the cable as I've found 5V on at least one pin at the connector to the battery.

Sound right so far?

Attachments

• Verylowbattery.jpg
    Verylowbattery.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 4
cabinover said:
I just learned something that isn't in the DL manual. This icon that I keep seeing after trying to restore or reboot is the "very low battery" icon. That's what it shows before reverting back to the wall charger icon.

I've never seen an icon saying it's charging. That sounds to me like it's either the cable or the battery. I don't believe it to be in the cable as I've found 5V on at least one pin at the connector to the battery.

Sound right so far?

Yes...

Was the 5v was on the cable side, coming from elsewhere, not the ipod?

What does the charge icon look like?

edit: nevermind, I found it..., plus the sleeping and wakeup stuff....

Additional information

iPod calibrates its touch-sensitive surfaces when you turn off the Hold switch. Touching the buttons or the touch wheel on a sleeping iPod at the same time that you turn off the Hold switch causes iPod to calibrate to the capacitance of your finger instead of the air. This can cause iPod to turn on but appear unresponsive when waking from sleep.

This may have been covered earlier (no time to read all of the above).

I was given my son's 15 gig, 3rd gen. Ipod. The 3rd Gen. models have a clickwheel with 4 buttons, side by side above the clickwheel. He ordered and installed an aftermarket replacement battery. After much frustration, I discovered it will not charge via a USB cable. It will download and dock with a computer via USB but will not charge. I believe that charging a 3rd Generation Ipod requires connection via firewire or a wall charger (with non-removable/integrated docking cable).

Similarly, the Griffin after market car charger I had was a 2 piece unit. One piece was a typical male cigarette lighter jack/probe with a female USB jack for the docking cable (male USB connector at one end and docking connector at the other). Because this cable was USB based, it also would not charge my 3rd Gen. Ipod.

Lastly, my son advised me, "Never pay attention to the battery status display. It is not accurate." Frankly, I don't use it enough to know.

Hope this helps.

Onepixel: I don't know, it was a refurbished product. Read "slightly used"

Mark: The 5VDC was on the pins that the battery plugs into. So it had gone through the USB cable and the connections on the bottom of the ipod, all the way to the battery plug. Probing the back side of the battery plug showed the same voltage so it's going to the battery unless there is a break in the battery wire.

After talking with my son for a while this afternoon he enlightened me a little bit. The machine WAS working when he got it out of the box. The little battery indicator was on in the corner and it loaded into itunes on this computer. He even named the little thing. The restore was done to free up 2GB of space that had been taken. That's when all of this started. It started to restore and then the computer said to plug the ipod into a wall plug.

Now it continually shows the wall plug icon unless you reset it with the Select and Menu button. When this is done it displays the very low battery icon and is asleep (large icon in center of screen), right before it goes back to the wall charger icon.

BTW, I can hear the HD spinning up while the wall charger icon is on. Doesn't do anything but that's a good sign isn't it?

I really appreciate all of the advice/help guys, that's why I love this place! You're all like family.

I've got a firewire wall plug. Remember, I'm only a Priority Mail envelope away if you want me to try it out...

Deli, what ever you do use the best lossless transfer possible (once you get it going :) ). I did a comparison on my system last year (I Pod was connected to a tape loop) and the compression wasent as bad with the high bit-rate transfers, still there, but listenable.

wineslob said:
Deli, what ever you do use the best lossless transfer possible (once you get it going :) ). I did a comparison on my system last year (I Pod was connected to a tape loop) and the compression wasent as bad with the high bit-rate transfers, still there, but listenable.

I agree about the bitrates-

Listening through headphones it's not as big a deal (though I still recommend doing at least 128kbps if not 160kbps).

But hooked up to the home stereo, it's a big deal. Lower bitrates make my setup sound like a boombox, but 320kbps, or even 256kbps, sure makes it sound a heck of a lot nicer.

Back
Top Bottom