Can I post here now?

spaceman

Registered Lunatic
Hi, Marantz fans! I picked up my first Marantz today, a model 1060 integrated amp, so stopped in the Marantz forum to talk about it. :smoke: I haven't actually hooked it up & listened to it yet, as it was a thrift store score, and needs much cleaning (inside & out). I'm crossing my fingers that she's healthy though, since she's in very good to excellent cosmetic condition, under the dirt. I'm kinda psyched now too, after reading both threads from a search, where it's said that this model is the "sweet spot" in the lineup. :D I'll be back, with an update on her health. :yes:

spaceman said:
Hi, Marantz fans! I picked up my first Marantz today, a model 1060 integrated amp, so stopped in the Marantz forum to talk about it. :smoke: I haven't actually hooked it up & listened to it yet, as it was a thrift store score, and needs much cleaning (inside & out). I'm crossing my fingers that she's healthy though, since she's in very good to excellent cosmetic condition, under the dirt. I'm kinda psyched now too, after reading both threads from a search, where it's said that this model is the "sweet spot" in the lineup. :D I'll be back, with an update on her health. :yes:

Don't forget to check the DC-offset before using a pair of good speaker

Tony

marantzbe said:
Don't forget to check the DC-offset before using a pair of good speaker

Tony

How does one check the DC-offset on an amp? It must be ok on my new (to me) 1060, since it didn't destroy my speakers, but I'd love to know for future reference since speakers = money.

Get a multimeter and put the + probe into the + terminal on one of the channels(one channel at a time) and the - probe into the - terminal and put the unit on a source with no input and volume down. Put the multimeter in the 2000mV setting for maximum accuracy. Check left and right channels like this.
Your reading will tell if it is ok to put speakers on it. Anything over 50mV is bad, but you want under 20mV if possible.

Well, I got her cleaned up last night, and she looks great from the front & sides. The faceplate & knobs look better than I expected. :yes: Some scratching on the top, & she's missing her feet, but nothing too major. I figured out her main problem, the fuse holder is split, but not in such a way as to break the circle, but rather "sideways" (?), so as to make 2 circles, so I'm gonna try supergluing it back together. All the pots & push-buttons feel nice & smooth, so that's pretty encouraging. :smoke: I'll be back.

Well, apparently, the broken fuse-holder was her only real problem. :D I superglued it back together last night, which was kinda tricky, because of the way it goes through the back panel, and let it dry overnight. Today, after checking things & listening through headphones first, I hooked her up to my speakers, & she sounds GREAT. :music: First, I just ran my Pioneer TX-9800 tuner into her, and was pretty happy with her sound. My local classic rock station was just starting to play "The Psychedelic 60's" program, and today was their top 10 of all time list, so I got a good taste of her "musicality", especially during Iron Butterfly's "Innagoddadavida". (sp?) :smoke: After the top 10, I hooked up my Heathkit AA-11 tubed preamp, & of course she sounded better, but surprisingly, not AS much better as you'd expect. Meaning simply, that the Model 1060 is the most tubelike SS amp I've used yet, and that's saying something. :yes: Not that I've tried all available options, lol, but all the options available to me so far. ;) Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with my latest "thrift store score", & would pay much more for it if I had to. :yes: :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom