Can I power up tube preamp that's been unused for 8 years?

joekapahulu

Got back from surprise vacation and my Acurus Preamp is messed up. Have a YS Audio tube preamp I have not used in about 8 years as an alternate. Can I setup and power that up or do I need to worry about it like with tube amps? I don't have a variac. It is tube rectified and also uses 12ax7s. It worked fine when I put in the closet to try some different directions, e.g. passive, solid state.

Best bet is to power it up with a dim bulb tester just in case a capacitor decided not to cooperate after 10 years.

If its fairly newer like 20 to 25 years old (not familiar with YS audio), it should be fine but just watch it carefully for the first few minutes or so just to make sure it behaves like no sparks, smoke, blown fuses, etc. just be ready to yank the cord.

If you have a few vintage components which have hibernated for years, like your YS preamp, or acquire them, a Variac is a necessary tool. If it saves just one component from self-destruction, it will pay its own cost. I paid $60 for mine, and it has an accurate voltage meter. I can also use it to power Japanese components which only operate at 100V (at the moment, a Denon DP80 turntable, a superb DD never offered in the 120V U.S. market). A very useful tool at a fairly low cost. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, it's almost too simple to fail.

it's almost too simple to fail

This is true, but the advantage of the DBT it that it provides automatic current limiting in case of a failure.

It is possible for a device power up okay and suffer a failure after being brought up to full voltage. In this case the variac will not provide any current limiting. The DBT will provide automatic current limiting.

The best of both worlds it to use a DBT in conjunction with a variac. The adjustability of the variac will compensate for the inherent voltage drop of the DBT.

Again, the magic of the DBT is that its operation is automatic.

The best of both worlds it to use a DBT in conjunction with a variac.
Can you guide me to a link with a "how-to" on using a DBT? I know it's fairly simple, that it's an invaluable tool, and it's inexcusable I know so little about it after all these years.

Check the DIY forum, EngineerNate posted a how to build a DBT thread with step by step pictures and all. As for using it for your pre amp, someone should offer some suggestions.

With the unit plugged in to the DBT, turn it on. The light bulb (has to be the old fashioned incandescent kind) should flash bright momentarily, then dim down to a low glow. If it stays bright, you have a problem with something.

Back
Top Bottom