Can I use an AU-717 or an AU-919 as a power amp?

nikmills

I love my AU-717 powering my pair of SP-5000s. I'll soon add two SP-5500s. I'm sure the 717 can do push all four, but if I were to want more power could I connect another 717 or a 919 to use as a power amp? Instead of buying an actual power amp?
How would that work? Two separate volume controls? What would be the settings on the pre amp / power amp switches?

I am sure this question displays great ignorance.
Thank you in advance and for you patience.

but if I were to want more power could I connect another 717 or a 919 to use as a power amp?
Yes

And you set it up where one of them is a integrate and the other is just a power amp, so it would be one preamp and two stereo power amps. If you look in the back of either unit you'll see (Pre Out) and (Main In) and a three position switch. So your main unit the one you want controlling both you hook up some interconnects to the pre out and go into the main in on the other one.

Now I don't have the switches memorized but the main unit you switch it to where it will send the signal out and to the internal amp. The switch on the power amp only will also be set the where only the power amp turns on. Then I would also plug the power amps AC in to the main units switch on plug so they both turn on together.

Connect Tape/Rec (output) to Aux (input). Source to Aux of first amp. Connect speakers to each amp. Now both play same music and all controls work independently. You have individual volume control. I am doing the same thing. My 717 is connected to HPM-1100 sounds great.

If you already own a second Sansui integrated that is sitting idle, just follow 4-2-7's instructions excepting only the part about wiring to turn on together. Call me paranoid, but I follow the conventional wisdom for on/off in separates situations.

I did the tape out thing as described by rwartner years ago and quickly grew tired of the extra effort required for level matching every time I changed the volume.

If you don't already have a spare integrated on hand, there are cheaper and better ways to add amplification. Receivers with in/out jumpers can often be found pretty cheap. A decent power amp can be had for less than an AU717 and a pretty nice power amp can be found for less than an AU919.

Back
Top Bottom