Can of Worms! KLIPSCH "pecking order" ?

try a s3et of Chorus ll with the hybrid conical tractrix mid horn much better than the K600 of the CW/CWll and a much better woofer than the K33. The Chorus replaced the Cornwall for just over ten years. if you want better than that look to the Epic series CF4 or CF3 if your space is limited the largest wide band horn Klipsch ever released in a home speaker and I think the best Klipsch ever especially with upgrades a very fine design by Roy Delgado. I consider the horn inn the CF3&4 to be the poor mans K510. Best regards Moray James.

I recently picked up a pair of Epic C-4's, they remind me of the KLF-10's on steroids. I really like two way speakers, the C-4's could do well in a night club with their powerful output. :thmbsp:

raise them up so the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. you can also experiment with brace work and quality damping as well as replacing the stock Chinese EV knock off driver with and EV DH1506 will screw right into place but due to the huge mass will require a hanger to carry the weight of the driver as the horn alone cannot hold this weight safely and could easily crack when moving the speaker. Best regards Moray James.

A forte is a ported Hersey. A Chorus is a Cornwall in a smaller Box. If you have corners the Klipschorn comes first, if you don't the Cornwall comes first. Belles and La Scalas need corners to extend the bass below 60 HZ. If you don't have corners, its Cornwalls, Chorus and Forte. If you have corners its Klipschorns, Cornwalls, Chorus, La Scala, better midrange horn, Belle, Forte and Hersey. If you like bass, the Belle and La Scala have to be removed from the list. I will say I liked Belle for casual and brief critical listening, but that I much prefer the Cornwalls.

Right about the Forte but Forte ll have better mid horn and larger passive. As for the Chorus it has a much higher power rated pro woofer compared to CW and the Chorus ll also has the improved mid horn which I like a lot more than the K600/601 of the Cornwall(s) and a fifteen inch passive rather than ports. The passive can be re tuned to extend Chorus ll bass response but it is already deeper than a CW.

Now that I've lived with my Khorns for a month..

I'd have to say Khorns are the top dogs of klipsch. JMHO of course.

The first set I auditioned I didn't care for. Then I heard mine and felt the magic. No looking back for me.

Soooooo glad I didn't buy any others as these are my grail speakers.:thmbsp:

I'd have to say Khorns are the top dogs of klipsch. JMHO of course.

The first set I auditioned I didn't care for. Then I heard mine and felt the magic. No looking back for me.

Soooooo glad I didn't buy any others as these are my grail speakers.:thmbsp:

I would agree the Khorns are the top dogs of Klipsch home series. Their cinema series is another matter. Jubilees are the top speakers Klipsch produces at this time in my opinion. Khorns are their best home speakers.

If one has "corners" does the bass of either Belles or LaScalas match Cornwalls, or are they still lacking?

I admit, I've been attracted to the Belles, because of their looks. Never have heard a pair, but I am into the Klipsch sound enough not to worry about that.

What would people out there pay for a set of Belles, without mods???

the 16" Altec would probably need cabinet modification to fit and might not fit at all so you will need to check that out. I had a friend do some simulations and the 515 simulated best of the drivers he chose much better top end response (which is the downfall of the Khorn. You want a physically light cone under 70 grams and a powerful motor and you want short travel as well if you are looking to make the top end response of the Khorn extend upwards (making a two way design practical). If you want more bass extension then a 70 gram cone with longer through will work. Hope this helps you some. Best regards Moray James.

If one has "corners" does the bass of either Belles or LaScalas match Cornwalls, or are they still lacking?

I admit, I've been attracted to the Belles, because of their looks. Never have heard a pair, but I am into the Klipsch sound enough not to worry about that.

What I have noticed with my Belle's, is they have plenty of bass but without the deep thump that some more modern types of music rely on. Paired with my Fisher 1800 receiver, they have plenty of strong bass signal for the genre's of music I listen to. (classic rock, blues, smooth jazz) I have found that digital tracks tend to over power the horns with shrill, which makes the bass seem weaker that it really is. So input, amp selection, and placement can really make a huge difference. I have found a very good combination with my setup, and a correctly working tube amp will really bring out the best in them IMHO. Oh, and we can't forget just how beautiful they are to look at. :thmbsp:

I have followed 4 CL and Ebay sales for Belles in the last few months, all over the country.

Low was $1800, high was $2300. $2000 seems to be about the middle selling point.
+++

EXCEPT the guy on the Klipsch.com site who just picked up a pair for $200. :yippy:

Last edited:
I've owned,

KG3
Heresys
Forte 1's
and now my first pair of Cornwall 2's from 1976.

I am blown away by the Cornwalls. Simply no comparison with the others. I've found their depth of sound and presence to be remarkable. Now I am wondering, whats next, Belles???

Love the Cornwall. If you get the chance, put a pair of Heresy with them. The extra mid horns are great, but the 12" of the Heresy adds a mid bass that I really like, it adds a richer sound.

Not sure what you listen to. The Belle falls short on the bass. Belle and Cornwall play nicely together.
For looks, the Belle hands down. For the money and sound, I would skip the Belle and maybe do the LaScala, though it's shy on bass too. If you have corners, do the Khorn - it has it all

Like Morey said, you won't be let down by the Chorus II. A little more picky on placement than the CW, but has a larger/better mid. Also, (same with the Chorus, Cornwall, Khorn, etc) the KLF 30 can piss off your neighbor's neighbors.
:yes:

Just got a pair of Belles. Paid 2K. I know it's not a bargain, but I wanted them. Used uship, to ship them up from LA which was easy and inexpensive. I took a risk buying them sight un see/heard but thankfully they are OK, look fine and sound great. I know people say they think the Belle are short on Bass, but I just don't really hear it. I hear a present bass, not a movie theater style sub-woofer bass. This bass to me sound like what I am used to hearing as a professional symphony musician. And I listen to all kinds of music. Just my two cents.

Now I know I'm going to need to get a new amp. Thinking about an interagted tube amp. Anybody have any experience with the many Chinese options on eBay? What the heck power rating should I be looking for??

Last edited:
^
Congratulations on the Belle. I paid a little more for mine, but they have a few upgrades. If they are in great shape, you did fine. You're right in they have a full range of sound. As far as looks, I don't know of a better looking speaker cabinet.
What flavor did you get?

They are walnut with black grills. So lovely and they sound great too!
As far as I can tell they are without upgrades. I will have Crites rebuild the crossovers this summer.

Last edited:
Just got a pair of Belles. Paid 2K. I know it's not a bargain, but I wanted them. Used uship, to ship them up from LA which was easy and inexpensive. I took a risk buying them sight un see/heard but thankfully they are OK, look fine and sound great. I know people say they think the Belle are short on Bass, but I just don't really hear it. I hear a present bass, not a movie theater style sub-woofer bass. This bass to me sound like what I am used to hearing as a professional symphony musician. And I listen to all kinds of music. Just my two cents.

Now I know I'm going to need to get a new amp. Thinking about an interagted tube amp. Anybody have any experience with the many Chinese options on eBay? What the heck power rating should I be looking for??

Congrats on your new speakers. If you'd rather stay with an affordable, American made integrated amp, I'd recommend looking at these offerings from Rogue Audio. They provide all of the perceived benefits of both tubes and solid state.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Integratedamps.htm

They are walnut with black grills. So lovely and they sound great too!
As far as I can tell they are without upgrades. I will have Crites rebuild the crossovers this summer.

Do as you're comfortable...but, if you want to really leap-frog them in the game of improvement, get a Klipsch K510 horn with the K69 driver and make them a 2-way speaker.

The K510 is a 2" format horn and this setup will trounce your current setup AND still be 100% Klipsch.

I'll see if I can find a picture to attach & show what I'm talking about.

Of course, it does present an issue with the top hat.... but I hear with my ears, not my eyes! :D

attachment.php

having a little brain freeze are we? I have temporary lapses in reason all the time these days. Two way active would indeed be the way to go but passive is an option that should cost you less beans.

Last edited:
That isn't my speaker (though I have a K510 in a LaScala)

Honestly, I don't know if Roy (Delgado at Klipsch) created a passive for this or if someone like Crites created it.

I'm active with mine so I don't think I have this schematic. (will look)

Regardless....that's a bump in the road issue.... the thing to know is moving up to a 2" horn is significant.

That isn't my speaker (though I have a K510 in a LaScala)

Honestly, I don't know if Roy (Delgado at Klipsch) created a passive for this or if someone like Crites created it.

I'm active with mine so I don't think I have this schematic. (will look)

Regardless....that's a bump in the road issue.... the thing to know is moving up to a 2" horn is significant.

I bet they sound good too! Here is a very good place to start in a passive two way xover . Now you might want to make some adjustments for the the fact that these are set up for twin parallel 8 ohm woofers but I don't think it will be a really big deal if you don't. I would try out the network as is first and see what you think if you are running just one woofer. The network provides CD compensation for the compression driver. I have tried to provide both a 500Hz network and a 800Hz network. The 500Hz network would be the best choice. With the speakers in question 375 - 450Hz would be a better compromise for xover but the EV network provided here will get you in the ball park and can always be adjusted to suit.

PS: system will not let me post more than one PDF probably due to size. If anyone wants the 800Hz network ask or simply Google EV XEQ808

Attachments

• EV XEQ-504A 500Hz Crossover and EQ.pdf
    718.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom