Can of Worms! KLIPSCH "pecking order" ?

I bet they sound good too! Here is a very good place to start in a passive two way xover . Now you might want to make some adjustments for the the fact that these are set up for twin parallel 8 ohm woofers but I don't think it will be a really big deal if you don't. I would try out the network as is first and see what you think if you are running just one woofer. The network provides CD compensation for the compression driver. I have tried to provide both a 500Hz network and a 800Hz network. The 500Hz network would be the best choice. With the speakers in question 375 - 450Hz would be a better compromise for xover but the EV network provided here will get you in the ball park and can always be adjusted to suit.

PS: system will not let me post more than one PDF probably due to size. If anyone wants the 800Hz network ask or simply Google EV XEQ808

Lets see if I can post the 800Hz EV network PDF. no go so below is a on line link. EV XEQ808.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9GCKwAS6vl-dVdsfIJvz0lA&bvm=bv.91427555,d.eXY

I admit, one reason I got very interested in the Belles was their looks. So at least for the moment, I am not going to make such a drastic change.

Anybody know anything about the Bewitch 6550 x 4 KT88 tube amp? I'm about to pull the trigger. I'd like a Tube amp to run these babies with, and after looking around online I've settled on this. I'm in the market for something sub $1000.

Hi all,

WOW! I started this thread nearly TEN YEARS ago and.......I'm right back where I started! Over the last ten years, I've owned several pairs of "smaller" Klipsch (mostly KG series)
however I sold them as they just can not do what a larger speaker system can do. As I get older, I've convinced myself that I no longer what to move/carry HEAVY/LARGE speakers.
That being said, I'm finding (to be true) the old adage "there is no replacement for displacement". In addition to the smaller Klipsch I've owned, I have also owned a TON of Speakers
(Bookshelf Speakers/Towers) that have come and gone such as : Thiel 03A's, Wharfedale W90's, JBL 4311B's, Polk M5JR's, Pioneer HPM 100, ESS AMT 1's, OHM Walsh 2's, Bozak 201 Sonora's, B&W's, KEF, Celestion, Mission and so many others I can't even recall. Now, this is not to say that I didn't enjoy these Speakers as all have "something" I've like/enjoyed about these speakers.
I mostly listen to music at lower volumes however, most of these "smaller" systems leave me "wanting" when I want higher volume or "wanting" for being unable to play well at lower volumes.
Flash forward to December 2016, I have a (soon to be returned/updated FISHER 400 Tube Receiver) so I will be looking for "efficient" Speakers that are capable of a BIG sound and can play well at lower volumes. Of course the trick is trying to "split the difference" between HUGH and a larger speaker system. These Speakers would go in my Audio Room which measures 18.5 X 20.5
I will be able to place the Speakers from about four to four and half feet away from the back/rare wall and anywhere from five to eight feet apart. My big old Stephens Tru-Sonic Mono Horn Speaker
would sit in between (flanked) by the new speakers. Presently, I am running a pair of Polk M5JR Monitors (on stands) that are flanking the Tru-Sonic. The Polk's sound nice albeit a bit too small to fill this large room with sound with ease. Perhaps something on the order of FORTE's would do the trick ? The hunt continues! Thanks.

SixCats!

Each single piece isn't as big as the sum total.... but the sum total will give you incredible dynamics and huge scale of sound.

1.jpg 2jubscala.jpg

Well, since I currently have all of the speakers on my list, at least the list is based on my listening to all of them. I don't expect very many will agree with me, but here goes.

Khorn
Cornwall
Chorus
Lascala
Heresy
Forte

Bob Crites

Interesting... Heresy before Forte?

I guess Chorus go back on my want list. Christmas Chorus anyone?

My Heritage and Extended Heritage lineup:
1. Belle
2. La Scala
3. Cornwall
4-7. Forte I and II, Chorus I and II
8. Heresy (way too small than anything above, but if space is consideration, it's great for its size)

* Klipschorn is way too bulky for me to consider it in my collection. Besides, it's not even a "complete" speaker, since it lacks "walls" that owner must provide. I think it's more for theater, church, than for home application.

I think it's more for theater, church, than for home application.

Since we are all allowed our own opinion, this isn't directed at you. Instead, it's directed at a potential casual reader who may read this and take that to heart.

That is simply incorrect as PWK specifically set out to design a speaker that would bring the orchestra experience into the home. Using the walls as the final flair of the horn is (to me anyway) just another stroke of his design brilliance.

You're point however, isn't without some merit because, if someone has a room that has 'poor corners', then the Khorn might not be a good option for them.

For someone who does have good corners, the Khorn is probably "THE" most space efficient speaker made . (<--period)

You can take a speaker that is 25% the size of the Khorn and it will use more room space because it has to be pulled out from the walls (and get in the way)

Good points Coytee. In fact, I'm in such a "state of flux/confusion" as what to do for that "BIG" sound (and good low volume sound). It would take some serious re-arranging of my Audio Room but,
I have a pair of vintage Jensen Tri-Plex Bass Ultraflex Cabs designed for Corner or sidewalls. H 36" x W 25.5" x D 18.5"
These Cabs were designed for use with the Jensen G series 15" Tri-Axial Driver. Now, if I could only find a nice pair of 15" Co or Tri Axial drivers on the cheap!

Regards,
SixCats!

I went back and read your original post.

I think one key to a speaker sounding "big" (not necessarily loud) is its coverage pattern.

Look at the attached in a different way. Imagine two different speakers at the bottom, putting their sound out to the room. If you have a speaker that is not (what I think Klipsch calls constant coverage) then you might have the blue line.

Turn it up to 100 db's and you have to be inside the blue circle to hear 100 db's. Step to the side (walk to kitchen? Have side seat on couch?) and you are outside the peak envelope so now, the sound drops down in volume.

Swap speakers for a constant coverage speaker and now look at the red line. Turn it up to 100 db's and now, your range of movement in the room is much wider to hear the 100 db's

(I'm just using that as a reference point of course)

If you are at the apex of both speakers, you will hear the 100 db's. As you move to the side, the blue speaker will drop off in volume much faster than the constant coverage.

In the world of Klipsch, I keep urging people to look into their cinema lineup, specifically the K402 (best choice) or the much smaller K510 (if they are hard nosed on space issues)

Both sound great but, the K402 will sound better off axis than the smaller 510

Both should be used with active crossover but, can go as low as 400 (K510) or 380 (K402)

They WILL work quite easily with a Belle, LaScala and should also work quite easily with a Cornwall. I don't know enough about the other lines to have any idea of those.

Still... they are great sounding horns.

ConventionalRadiation.gif

* Klipschorn is way too bulky for me to consider it in my collection. Besides, it's not even a "complete" speaker, since it lacks "walls" that owner must provide. I think it's more for theater, church, than for home application.

Interesting observation. I agree, while having a 180 degree different approach...I've got a suitable space, and the Khorns turn in INTO a church or theatre.

I like:

Khorn
Belle
Cornwall
Forte or Chorus
Heresy

the best.

La Scalas are good, but I'd hold out for Belles, due to appearance.

I like:

Khorn
Belle
Cornwall
Forte or Chorus
Heresy

the best.

La Scalas are good, but I'd hold out for Belles, due to appearance.
Why do so many equate the La Scalas with the Belles? Two totally different speakers and sound profiles IMO. Belle's have a smaller horn that doesn't honk or squawk as much. Stock La Scalas are much louder and brighter in the mid zone.

Well thanks all that have posted, I've just got some pre-loved 1 owner Quartets in black and they sound great in my smallish room driven by a 14wpc Tube amp, playing mainly vinyl and some cds. Anything bigger wouldn't really fit plus the extra cost and Heresys that I'd heard didn't quite do it enough to push the button

I'm a heathen Klipsch rube but I'm a Cornwall guy because they just seem to work, anywhere.

I've witnessed K-Horn, LaScala, and Heresy models be ridiculously placement sensitive and/or -- likely for that reason -- fail to produce the full audio spectrum. If you can't do that...

If you've got the right setup? Go with whatever floats your boat. But I've yet to see Cornwalls ruined by environment.

Hi all,

WOW! I started this thread nearly TEN YEARS ago and.......I'm right back where I started! Over the last ten years, I've owned several pairs of "smaller" Klipsch (mostly KG series)
however I sold them as they just can not do what a larger speaker system can do. As I get older, I've convinced myself that I no longer what to move/carry HEAVY/LARGE speakers.
That being said, I'm finding (to be true) the old adage "there is no replacement for displacement". In addition to the smaller Klipsch I've owned, I have also owned a TON of Speakers
(Bookshelf Speakers/Towers) that have come and gone such as : Thiel 03A's, Wharfedale W90's, JBL 4311B's, Polk M5JR's, Pioneer HPM 100, ESS AMT 1's, OHM Walsh 2's, Bozak 201 Sonora's, B&W's, KEF, Celestion, Mission and so many others I can't even recall. Now, this is not to say that I didn't enjoy these Speakers as all have "something" I've like/enjoyed about these speakers.
I mostly listen to music at lower volumes however, most of these "smaller" systems leave me "wanting" when I want higher volume or "wanting" for being unable to play well at lower volumes.
Flash forward to December 2016, I have a (soon to be returned/updated FISHER 400 Tube Receiver) so I will be looking for "efficient" Speakers that are capable of a BIG sound and can play well at lower volumes. Of course the trick is trying to "split the difference" between HUGH and a larger speaker system. These Speakers would go in my Audio Room which measures 18.5 X 20.5
I will be able to place the Speakers from about four to four and half feet away from the back/rare wall and anywhere from five to eight feet apart. My big old Stephens Tru-Sonic Mono Horn Speaker
would sit in between (flanked) by the new speakers. Presently, I am running a pair of Polk M5JR Monitors (on stands) that are flanking the Tru-Sonic. The Polk's sound nice albeit a bit too small to fill this large room with sound with ease. Perhaps something on the order of FORTE's would do the trick ? The hunt continues! Thanks.

SixCats!

There are some who think a great compromise between big sound and a classic Klipsch sound in a smaller package consists of a pair of Heresy's with a Sub woofer. Maybe that is the happy medium you seek. ?? Personally I need some 15"ers to satisfy my audio desires. So Im building my own version of cornscallas. I have a pair of quartets and they are great sounding speakers. But I think I prefer the 15" bass sound without a passive.

just wondering, as I am a klipsch fan as well and own a pair of rf7iii's, where do they rate in this conversation?

1.) What I can't afford
2.) What I can't afford
3.) What I can't afford
4.)What I can't afford
5.) Chorus
6.) Forte
7.) Heresy

Heritage/Extended only, not familiar with the Reference series.

Back
Top Bottom