1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Can somebody tell me what a "passive preamp" is !?!?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Bill Ferris, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Pre-amp = before the amp.

Some manufacturers call a "pre-amp" that provides gain a control amplifier. That more exactly describes the components function.

A passive device situated between source components and amplifier would more accurately be called a passive line-stage.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Bill Ferris and No Money like this.
  2. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Active Member

Yes I agree... :thumbsup: But not likely to catch on, as it just doesn`t sound sexy enough !!

Good call though Mark B.. Regards, OKB

3. Leland47

Leland47 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I didn't read the above links....

But, I had always thought a Passive Pre.....was one of those high-end types that didn't have tone controls....and an "Active" one or just a Preamp did have tone controls.

I guess I'll have to read up.....as that now sounds incorrect.

Lavane likes this.
  4. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

Next on your misnomer hit-list might be wifi...

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. Bill Ferris

Yes.. Well put. :thumbsup:

Dandy likes this.
  6. airtime

airtime Super Member

Well now let's add buffer stages into the mix. Now we have "passive buffer preamps" that do require a voltage source, pass audio through a transistor or two but add no gain.

Modern audio culture has formed the praise passive preamp to mean basically a volume pot in front of the amp - with no gain stages. Much like "sure I enjoy listening to the stereophonics" to mean you listen to vinyl, records, spinning disks, etc...Culture has changed the meaning and phrase to mean what ever is popular at the time.

With passives and preamps, one does not replace the other. It is all dependent on your setup , gear and listening taste. But mostly your gear.

7. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

^^^^ This.

To further muddy the waters, my Promitheus TVC (Transformer Volume Control) is passive, has no power cord, yet provides an optional 6 dB of gain.

[​IMG]

Leland47 and Lavane like this.
  8. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are "passive tone controls". No gain added. But, they can only reduce the gain, not add to it. Cranked up all the way its like they aren't there, think flat responce. So turning them down you are reducing the gain. Where active tone controls add to the gain past center or at 12:00. With active below 12:00 you are reducing gain. After 12:00 you are adding gain. I think I got that right.

9. bshorey

bshorey AK Subscriber Subscriber

Technically there's no 'amp' there. 'Preamplifier' means just that - something that goes in line before the amplifier.

bs

10. sjfloat

sjfloat Active Member

A pre-amp is *defined* primarily as a circuit that provides voltage amplification ("pre" the power stage, where else?). I have always found the concept of a pre-amp that doesn't pre-amp almost Orwellian; a non-amplifying amplifier.

It may be a swell box, but it's not a pre-amp.

Anyway, that ship has already sailed. :)

Bill Ferris likes this.
  11. Bill Ferris

Well put Sir. :beerchug:

sjfloat likes this.
  12. Harryconover

Harryconover Active Member

Passive and amp are oxymoron

sjfloat and Bill Ferris like this.