Can Someone Tell Me A Little About These Speakers?

Mavrik8511

I posted in the General Audio Forum that I think I just scored one of the best garage sale deals EVER. I got a pair of JBL C46 Minigons, a Bang and Olufsen Beocenter and an unidentifiable cabinet with a Kenwood KR-77 and an Elac turntable. All for $20. I have some questions about the speakers though. Can someone tell me how much these speakers are worth? Also, how do I get the grill off to clean them? They are in great shape but very dusty!!!
upload_2017-5-21_13-18-5.png

Welcome to AK. You can go to HiFi Engine.com to find information on the Kenwood KR-77, Bang and Olufson beocenter stuff. Try VinylEngine.com for the turntable. HiFi Manuals.com is also good. Need more pictures on what you got. Discussions on value for selling are in Dollars and Sense forum. Hope this helps, Mavrik8511.

Mini Paragons.
They look like a split version of a large Paragon speaker, which l wasn't familiar with until a couple of weeks ago when a friend picked one up.
I suppose that's where the minigon name comes from.
They will sound very nice

very, very, very, very envious of the minigon speaker. easily pay 10X total cost for that alone! Nice score!

I don't know how rare these are, but they look gorgeous. Probably need some oil on them to really bring them back to life.

I'm envious! :bowdown:

They are probably worth more in the mid century modern category! If I had a thing for mid century modern, and I had the space, I would get them. How they sound is secondary.

I knew nothing about them when I bought them. I just thought they looked cool and I thought they went with the cabinet setup. More pics.......

upload_2017-5-22_8-12-27.png upload_2017-5-22_8-13-31.png upload_2017-5-22_8-14-21.png

Can you tell us how these work, drivers ect, it looks like they are vented on top and bottom?

I had a Beocenter and it was wonderful to listen to, but there was always an issue with the power supply. I finally gave it away. Nice score by the way. Enjoy.

Very cool speakers. The Beocenter could be problematic and hard to service but for $20 you did very well.

Super groovy speakers. Awhile back I nearly bought a high class custom house that was built in the 50's. Those speakers would have been so cool in that house.

Classic Lansing speakers! Very cool. They need dusted, then wiped with a little mineral spirits, then Danish oil.

Those are made to mount horizontally on a wall, BTW.

Check ebay completed sales, you should find some there. [Edit: Maybe not. But a pair of crossovers that fit these sold for $350 so do the math...]

I knew nothing about them when I bought them.
And still don't, they are used horizontally like the first photos you posted. You should seek out some help before doing anything, to the speakers or finish. Don't just reach under your sink for cleaning supplies. I'm a professional furniture finisher if you want to contact me for a cleaning treatment that will clean and rejuvenate the JBL original finish, without harm.

You have some extremely rare JBL speakers there that could cost or sell for 300 X what you paid for them. But this can change depending how and what you do to them in your care.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom