Can this hinge be welded?

This is on a Cavalier wagon tailgate.

Can this be repaired by welding? If so, what type of welding? I would like to learn the correct term to use when talking to local welders.

Thanks...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0058.jpg
    DSCN0058.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0059.jpg
    DSCN0059.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 90
Yes, it can be welded. Biggest problem is that it was originally welded prior to painting.

Having it repaired will burn any paint in close proximity.

The welds there now are factory spot welds, it a welding machine that pinches the metal and then welds at the pinpoints.

Arepair shop will not do it that way, they will most likely wier mig weld it. They will have to grind off paint were they need to weld so some paint will need to be touched up or it will rust fast.

wier?

that didn't google up anything. did you mean wire mig weld?

What would be a fair price (ballpark) for a welding job like this?

Last edited:
Yes, wire mig welding. That looks like a fairly easy repair and any decent welder should be able to take care of it. As mentioned, you'll need to touch up the paint and you can get paint at your local autozone type store or dealership.
Luckily it's inside a hidden area.

He meant wire. It could also be done with a stick welder. You'll need to remove the pins and then the tail gate. Remove all all the paint, primer and rust near where the welds will be.

Cost is hard to say. Any muffler shop could do it. Over $50.00 and they're taking advantage.

I would like to do it in place if at all possible.

The tailgate has several wires entering it through a rubber boot. There is no way to remove the tailgate without doing something with those wires, not a simple task I think.

Cosmetics are not super critical.

IMHO, it can't be done in place. the clean up is for the weld, not cosmetic. You can't induce trash like burnt paint into a weld. It would need to be clamped in place, when you weld, too.

Sorry, it's not as simple as someone holds the tailgate up, and a second person pulls the trigger on the welder.

I understand that the clean-up is for the weld. When I say 'cosmetics' I just mean that it would not have to be a neat welding job. Also could live with a little peripheral damage to exterior paint.

And you may be right.

I am not sure the pins could be removed without damage. But the wires would be the biggest hurdle. They enter at the top and run down to several locations. There is not much room for splicing at the point where they enter.

Thanks for the input everyone :thmbsp:

Last edited:
I had to do a similar job on a tail gate recently...though it was a truck with sign work i definitely didn't want to damage.

depending on whats available...this could be welded with a tig, a lot cleaner and less heat in a tight area...
Or a mig...i wouldn't use stick my self as thge chance of blowing holes in the body is great...

you could tape off the area around it using something heavy duty like gig tape...that's what i had to do with this truck, but i also had to work slowly...little weld, walk away, let it cool, come back, a little more so on...though beware the tape may catch fire...

a mig will throw spatter...a tig wont...

This pic shows how the wiring enters the upper corners of the tailgate. I can't think of any reasonable way to deal with the wires. Cutting the wires would get the tailgate off, but splicing would be difficult in the space available. Un-wiring then re-wiring the whole tailgate...may be doable, but would be a significant chore.

Yes, I don't know anything about welding. But if an expert welder was faced with this repair on his own vehicle, I have to wonder if he couldn't find a way to weld in place to avoid dealing with the wiring issue. :scratch2:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0738.jpg
    DSCN0738.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 58
do you think you could remove the pins and flip the gate back onto roof of car without disconnecting wiring? as that's all you would need to do to get a weld on the underside...

Good question. I don't know. I will need to look at the actual tailgate.

<the blue one above is one I bought from a junk yard, stored for about 9 years thinking I might need it someday, aborted the plan due to the wiring issue, and sold on ebay last winter :sigh: >

Depending on what you have on hand roger, it might be easier just to get a panel shop to do that...its an easy job, I would do it my self with the mig, but i have a mig, I have fire proof blankets, grinders , paint..everything i need to make that a 5 min job...

As i said, you just need to be careful how much heat you put into the area at once..

But all it needs is a little tickle with the grinder where you choose to place your weld...and a few quick hits with the mig....

I have no welding gear and no experience, and am not considering DIY'ing it. Just trying to find out what is possible and determine the most reasonable options.

I had a look at the tailgate and can not tell for certain if there is enough slack in the wiring to flip it up onto the roof. If it won't go all the way, it might be possible for it go to a 45 degree angle with something underneath to support it.

as long as there is enough room to get the gun nozzle in, and prep and clean after you should be ok...welding car bodies is sometimes better left to someone that's experienced in panel work and has the welder set up correctly, they don't make them like they used too..it can be very easy too blow holes and make a mess...

Back
Top Bottom