Can you guess this Sansui?

You guessed it! Right out of the gates. Nice work!

I just got this CA-303 along with the BA-303 and the BA-202 not that long ago. Never thought I'd be able to aquire a set of these, and the deal almost never happened as the seller had second thoughts of parting with them at first, but then contacted me months later after changing his mind and the deal was done.

IMG_1679.JPG

Interesting, tape head transformers. but we are missing the pic of the business end, the tubes.

Those transformers are the Sansui A-603 microphone transformers that were optional and were used for MC cartridges. These were also available for use in the 1000a and the AU-111.

Business end......

IMG_1672.JPG

Thanks. Didn't know the reason for them but there are a few different uses. Can you provide the info on them, as there are other companies that use plug in SUT in units of that era, Pioneer and Luxman come to mind. Wonder how different they are.

Very cool the mic transformer option is there. Ive used Sure and UTC. Those are worth some all on their own. Very nice score!

As far as I am aware of Sansui only made two stereo tube preamplifiers and this one was last that they made and is actually a tube / ss hybrid where the earlier SP-220 was all tube.

One cool thing about the CA-303 is the built in crossover network so that you are able to do a tri-amp setup with this preamp. It would be cool to try that someday.

I think i see the originals Japan Matsushita 12AX7 , i like them, but prefer Black Plates RCA.

Thanks. Didn't know the reason for them but there are a few different uses. Can you provide the info on them, as there are other companies that use plug in SUT in units of that era, Pioneer and Luxman come to mind. Wonder how different they are.

It's a little 9 pin transformer. Here's some pics with paperwork that came wrapped around them in their box and a 12AU7 next to it as a size reference. IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1681.JPG

Very cool the mic transformer option is there. Ive used Sure and UTC. Those are worth some all on their own. Very nice score!

I actually already had these transformers before purchasing the CA-303. I had them in my AU-111 but now want to try them out in the new preamp.

I think i see the originals Japan Matsushita 12AX7 , i like them, but prefer Black Plates RCA.

I really like the sound of the Japanese 12AX7's and have tried many other 12AX7's including telefunken, Amprex, Mullards, Tung Sol, RCA. But honestly, I don't think I'll ever pay more money than what I can get a Sovtek 12AX7LPS for because to me, they sound so good and I even prefer them over others that my search for Vintage 12AX7 tubes is over.

Back
Top Bottom