Can you have too much power ?

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
I have an Adcom GFA 5500 (200wpc) running 2 sets of Klipsch speakers . By the time I get to 1/4 volume , It's LOUD . If I would get an amp with half the power , will I degrade the sound in any way ? I am looking at a Yamaha Integrated amp .

Most Klipsch speakers are very efficient so you could get by with less 100 wpc. I am running klipsch cornwalls with 35 wpc tubes and 1/2 volume will run you out of the room. I have never run 2 sets at once so somebody else will have to chime in on the effect on wpc with 2 sets. Which klipsch are you running?

Most Klipsch speakers are very efficient so you could get by with less 100 wpc. I am running klipsch cornwalls with 35 wpc tubes and 1/2 volume will run you out of the room. I have never run 2 sets at once so somebody else will have to chime in on the effect on wpc with 2 sets. Which klipsch are you running?
5.5's and RF7-II's .

200 watts per channel are more than enough. The normal listening is normally 5 watts max and in your case even less considering the high efficiency of the Klipsch. The volume potentiometer is not linear but logarithmic. This means that the increase is not constant i.e the knob can be halfway but do not feel as strong as you would expect ..Briefly: Linear potentiometer: by lowering the volume you can also clean the sound from any distortion you have and vice versa, Logarithmic potentiometer: the sound does not change but simply lowers or simply raises the volume.

The Adcom are excellent devices. The function of the pre is to send the signal of the sources to the power amplifier as cleanly as possible. It is equipped with a potentiometer that raises or lowers this level. If you have to choose what is the best level for your optimal listening. Do not forget that not all sources have the same output level. The CD player may have a higher output level than the TT.

Can you have too much power ?
No.
But you can have more noise from a high-powered amp at low volume if it's not well-behaved or, particularly, if it's a high-powered amp intended for sound-reinforcement use. I bi-amp some very efficient JBL 4-way monitors with a Crown PS400 and PS200. I adjust the input attenuators on the amps to allow me to provide a loud listening experience at half-volume on my pre-amp which keeps everything in the sweet spot for the lowest possible noise floor and it gives me a usable range on the volume control.

It's always been said that it's easier to blow a tweeter with not enough power. To really kill a speaker with too much power you'd have to be abusive to your own ears within your home listening environment or pushing your speakers beyond their ability to fill a large room or outdoor venue. If it sounds bad, turn it down!

The sweet spot in integrated amplifiers is around 100w/ch. You have a huge choice around that power output, ranging from absolute statement pieces to great value units.

Loud is one thing, delicacy, poise and detail are other things. Quite often, large power amps have only power going for them, they are noisy and obscure low level detail. I have only a half dozen or so power amps that I regard very highly- I have considerably more integrated amplifiers that sound better IMO.

I know I do not like 200 wpc on my Klipsch speakers so yes you sure can have too much power imo. Since you're looking at different amps why not try a low powered tube amp or an equally low powered class A SS amp?

Granted, you're not using anywhere near the full 200wpc of the amp at those levels, but you end up with LOTS of headroom for instantaneous peaks and are well within the peak level limits of the speakers.

And yah - most amps perform best at around halfway up on volume. I'd consider attenuating the line level output from your pre-amp to compensate. I had a similar issue using a Carver cube to drive a center channel here and made a simple inline control by snipping a standard RCA interconnect in half and wiring in a 100K ohm linear pot. Dial that in to where both the amp (and me) were comfortable. In your case, you'd need two pots or a ganged pot for stereo.

You can run cornwalls with 3wpc.
For efficient speakers power output isn't much of an issue.
The quality (or perceived quality? If you will) will be the determining factor whether changing amps (to higher or lower output) will "degrade" what you're hearing.
You do pretty much have to try it for yourself.

Can you ever have too much money ?

While you may never use it all, it's in the reserve where the comfort lives.

Music is dynamic so while average listening is at a 5-10 watt "average", musical peaks can require substantially more power.

Too much power is possible, especially when combined with too little discretion.

Conservatively rated at 200wpc, my integrated amp continues to impress me daily with its SQ. It has finesse and power, and a joy to use, even when it was driving Khorns. Yes, an ST-70 will power a big old Klipsch speaker quite nicely, but the best I ever heard from those monster speakers over the years always came when driven by high power, high quality amplifiers. I will admit that I never heard any with SET amps, though.

IMO no, just use it wisely and enjoy the headroom. I have 1000 watts per channel, it is dead silent and a audio agent of destruction in the wrong hands. If you treat your ears, speakers and neighbors with respect a high powered amplifier can be a prefect partner on the road to audio nirvana

I have an Adcom GFA 5500 (200wpc) running 2 sets of Klipsch speakers . By the time I get to 1/4 volume , It's LOUD . If I would get an amp with half the power , will I degrade the sound in any way ? I am looking at a Yamaha Integrated amp .

I have my Kenwood 700m around #2 on the output dial and I rarely get to the half mark on the 700C volume dial. Maybe I am not used to pure power but thats really loud for me. I have cranked my Polk RTi12's to half power on both kenwoods and the walls are rattling. I cant imagine what it would be like to push the Kenwoods to full power.

It depends on the amp and the speakers and room. As a zillion threads about this subject have shown, there are those that worship at the alter of power and those that just have what they reasonably need. There is no right or wrong but I fall on the side of having what I need to listen at safe levels to my hearing. WPC is very similar to the horsepower wars in cars. It is fun to floor a 400 HP car but unless one lives at the track, that 400 HP is mostly useless. If one has a big room and like to listen at very loud sound levels, then one needs more power. Can one have too much? Probably not unless the amp not very good quality. Can have a huge amount of power be a waste of money? That might be a better question.

Back
Top Bottom