Can you ID this PP 6BQ5 console amp?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by LexDM3, Jan 12, 2019.

1. LexDM3

LexDM3 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a line on this but can't figure out what it is. Any clues? Thanks.

Copper PP 6BQ5 Amp on CL Jan-19 Front Top 2.jpg
    Copper PP 6BQ5 Amp on CL Jan-19 Back Top.jpg Copper PP 6BQ5 Amp on CL Jan-19 Left.jpg Copper PP 6BQ5 Amp on CL Jan-19 Bottom.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 6DZ7

6DZ7 Super Member

Try searching for any copper chassis amps. Not too common.

3. LexDM3

Thanks. I did that last night and again just now. No luck so far. I did see some Westinghouse and Motorola copper chassis amps but they are 6BQ5 SE with the OPTs on top. This one seems to have beefy OPTs under the chassis which is unusual. The hunt continues...

4. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Wondering what the empty nine-pin sockets are for. Hmmm.

5. LexDM3

It is missing three 12AX7 tubes. You can read the labels on the chassis in one of the pictures above. This seems like a pretty straightforward stereo power amp design.

6. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Everything in Moderation Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

That looks a lot like this one but with OPTs removed from top and smaller ones placed underneath. Additionally, it has the left side shortened and the control moved to the far RHS - from the underneath shot you can see that the side is bent over and (what used to be the lip) is now making that side sit up a little higher, presumably to help with fitting the OPTs under there.

[​IMG]

The OPTs on mine are Atlantic Transformer Company.

I can understand the reason for moving smaller OPTs underneath. The output tubes sit close to the OPTs and they get pretty warm. The Atlantic OPTs are huge for 6BQ5 (strong bass) and would not fit underneath.

I got this from Brian @baco99. Maybe he can add some history

electronjohn, baco99 and Leland47 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Well...duh. Guess I should've looked closer:)

8. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Copper chassis makes me think Motorola, but they typically had a 3DG4 rectifier and made more 3 channel amps than stereo integrated ones.

Definitely has a family resemblance to Tinkerbelle's amp though.

9. LexDM3

Thanks for your help with this. It seems to be a Motorola amp that had the OPTs repositioned.

I spoke to the seller today and told him I’d pass. As cool as this could be, I have too many projects waiting for me to get to them and do not need another. He understood. Seems like a good guy. The amp came from a house he helped clean out, I believe for the owner.

If you’re interested, search Boston Craig’s List for the description below. I can’t post a link here.
    VACUUM TUBE AMP FOR SALE - $149 (boxboro,mass)