Can you kids look at this x-over for me?

tygr

Audiophoole
Is this RSIIIb crossover "refurbished" from original? I know it's a bad pic but I say yes, it is.

The yellow film caps look original, that's good because they last forever. The coils look like the originals, too, however it appears that the iron core has been moved judging by the glue to the left of the speaker terminals. The little green NPN looks different, I think they were silver originally, they are really the only crossover part known to age. So yeah, it looks "refurbished".

Something was removed from the board. There's an empty glob of glue to the left of the binding post plate. Did they put that component somewhere else?

The yellow film caps look original, that's good because they last forever. The coils look like the originals, too, however it appears that the iron core has been moved judging by the glue to the left of the speaker terminals. The little green NPN looks different, I think they were silver originally, they are really the only crossover part known to age. So yeah, it looks "refurbished".

Thanks for the confirmation!

FWIW--The RS 5B crossovers in my spares pile each have one little green crossover cap among the various components.
Bought used but I think they are not changed or modified.

Jim's right. Somewhere we are not seeing the big woofer series cap. Probably was where that glue is. The red wire in the shape of a rainbow, on top of the curly one that looks like a pig's tail, is the woofer + wire. Maybe the cap just fell out of the glue and is attached on that red wire a few inches away. All other components look original. Looks like there's even a bit of corrosion (the white powdery stuff) on the outside cover of the midrange pot. Very common.

If the woofer series cap isn't in there, don't panic; the speakers operate just fine without it. There are scientific reasons why that cap is there, none of which are 100% necessary for the speakers to run without.
G~

Back
Top Bottom