Can you say Kabuki?

I bought 4 in nearly mint condition for $15. I donated a pair to my wife's employer's rec room (it's a group home for diabled women) and found that they sound bloody awful when used with a modern receiver but, conversely, quite wonderful when used with a vintage Kenwood Super 11 receiver. With the Technics, sound is very forward with good upper bass but a quick roll off at lower frequencies. The woofer is too big for the cabinet & they would have been much better with a 12" or 10" woofer instead of the 15".

I sold the other pair, which was pristine, via ebay local pickup. The buyer paid $350 and made a nearly 400 mile round trip to pick them up (at 55 lbs per speaker, a good decision.)

If I had more I would maybe put a piece of thin felt in front of each tweeter in order to tame the high end.

Well I will tell you this I bought 4 777-d,s in yokuska in 1977 along with a sansui au-717 and I have to laugh at people who say these speakers have weak bass or anything else for that matter....if you can,t make those thump I suggest you get an amp that will get the job done..speaker efficiency 98% 5 way cross overs they cover the full spectrum..I currently have 2 777d and 2 888d, powered by a kenwood kr-8840 and I can tell you this reciever doesn,t hold a stick to that au-717..these speakers are pretty old now they might benefit from a recap on the crossovers..and yes they were designed as a Loud Speaker

Back
Top Bottom