Can You Say 'Lucky' - How did I do?

gregmcm

Just had to share this bit of luck. Been after a friend of mine for a long time to part with a 1070 he has so he knows my interest in Marantz. Last week he tells me he has an old friend who has a Marantz for sale. A couple of emails later we arrange to meet at his place 45 minutes away and today was the day.

He not only had a 2270 but also a 2275 - with wooden cases non the less and a 6300 Turntable. I immediately knew this was my lucky day. He is the original owner of the 2270/6300 and his Dad owned the 2275 and never serviced or repaired. All have been in storage for 15 years. Dirty, much sign of tobacco smoke on the 2275, some silkscreen gone on the 2275, a few minor dings but should all clean up and present very nicely. The package cost me $700Cdn ( $570US) and I was happy to pay.

Plan is to start with the 2270 next week. DBTest, clean, clean, deoxit and go from there.

Here is a photo.
Marantz Stack.JPG

Wow. Lucky day for sure. That’s at least a couple grand worth of equipment when restored. Congrats,:thumbsup:

Thanks guys -- thinking about the worn silk screen in a couple of places and wondering if anyone has ever tried letraset? I remember this stuff back in the 80's and if I remember correctly it was available in some very small sizes.

Nice score for sure considering the 2275 is going for around $1000 CDN alone. The 6300 averages $700-800. You did very well my friend. Congratulations.

GT.

Looks like everyone was happy. You have some work to do, I assume, but that's a far better investment than a savings account at the bank, lol.

OK - couldn't wait and cracked open the 2270. Looks like I might be on a lucky streak! DBT test all good. Full power - speaker relay engages and check AM FM and it's ALIVE! Believe it or not all the indicator and panel lights are also working. Here are a few photos. The top side has some minimal dust on the back side and the bottom looks like it just came from the factory. Onward ...........

image1 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg image3.jpeg

I wasn't sure what to think when I got the unit and wondered if the worn off screen print on the volume and selector knobs was an indication of heavy use. A quick visual inspection doesn't indicate any suspect caps as I always like to have a close look particularly at the power supply caps for leakage, shrinking etc. At this point I'm thinking my focus will (hopefully) be on the cosmetics and case and replacing the PS caps with Panosonic FC's which I always find to be worthwhile irrespective of anything else. Still need to check the phone and aux inputs. Always amazed at the build quality of these units.

Original and unmolested. The way you like to find them, very lucky indeed.

Not surprised on the lamps. I have a few that still have their originals and still going strong.

Update - 2270 went like a dream. Everything works - not even a scratchy switch. Cleaned all the bright work and oiled the case - looks great. Going to let it run for awhile and turn my attention to the 2275. Hope my luck holds up 48D6E1D6-02B4-4315-96B4-E4AE2B56D917.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom