Can you suggest a movie you watched more than once...and got more outta it?

Think I`ll stick to the smaller, less-appreciated genre`....

"The Darjeeling Limited" (IMHO, one of the best-ever "small films")
"Baghdad Cafe"
"The Station Agent"
"Don Juan DeMarco" (Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando play off each other wonderfully)

I'm going with:

2001: A Space Odyssey. In spite of having seen it more times than I can count, and having also read the book a comparable amount of times, its complexity still seems to take me by surprise.

Another one is Bladerunner, although this is more to do with the soundtrack detail on the BluRay version. There is stuff there that simply doesn't exist on the earlier versions.

In film it really comes down to what type you like or what strikes you in a film.
There are many great films that deserve a second or third viewing, some just because of their quality, others because the speak to you.

For me:
The Sting.
One because it was a great film, two it had a great cast, three it had a great score, and four it has a nice twist.

Citizen Kane.
Again a great film by a young film master in the making. Many things done in this film were groundbreaking in cinema, the use of story, the style of scene shots.
A film studied today in film schools all over. Worth seeing more than once.

Casa Blanca.
Great cast, great locale, and at its basic core it asks existential questions to be considered.

Young Frankenstein.
Again from a great film maker.
So many things are going on more than one viewing is required, it has running gags, sight gags, double entendres, you name it, it has it.

Which leads me to the next film.
Airplane.
For the sheer number of jokes, puns, running gags, sight gags, double entendres, satire, again you name it had it. So un-PC I doubt it can be made today.

Dr. Strangelove. Again so much going on you need to see it more than once to get it.
A great cast, a score you can not forget, and inside jokes, or are theu just dark humor?
Real fears at the time about living another day, or not.
Major (King) Kong, General Jack D. Ripper. Col ‘Bat’ Guano. You have to love it.

In Sci Fi:
Forbidden Planet.
I my opinion a great 50’s Sci Fi film.
Cheesy effects and scenery by today's standards, but good for the time.
Plus suspense, action, and more than a bit of existential thinking thrown in.

2001: A Space Odyssey, a master work by a master film maker.
A great score.
Great special effects even by today's standards.
And it asks the basic questions, why are we here? Are we alone?

In westerns I am partial to the 60’s:
Once Upon a Time in the West. Great cast, great visuals, great score.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Again great cast, great visuals, great score.
Also High Noon
Also Stagecoach, 1939

In foreign film I would say you need to see these more than once.

Seven Samurai, by the great and I mean GREAT, Akira Kurosawa film maker.
Another film studied today around the world.

Also from Kurosawa. Roshomon, and Sanjuro

Someone already mentioned the TV show:
Babylon 5
In my opinion the best thought out, and thought provoking TV series made so far.

If I thought about it, and drank on it, some more, I am sure I can come up with more worthy films, but this will do for now.

The Matrix (only the first movie). When I saw this, I was so blown away, I immediately watched it again. I couldn't tell you how many times I have watched it and continue to do so. The theme(s) explored in this movie, that of AI run amok, have always fascinated me.

2001: A Space Odyssey. My top sci-fi movie of all time. The story was so original and ahead of its time. Again, I have watched this movie MANY times and it is always fresh. Of course, it didn't help matters any that the first time I saw it I had been indulging in some medicinal herbs.

Not that you have to watch these movies repeatedly, but I do because they are so absolutely great fun and un-PC: Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. I have wondered many times if these movies could be made in our PC :)mad:) world today. Also included in this group is Animal House.

I have to agree on The Matrix being a fascinating movie.
Lord of the Rings is another epic film which had so much going on that I had to watch it several times over.

Last edited:
I forgot...
Laurel & Hardy shorts. ESPECIALLY "Towed in a Hole". It has some of the best pacing and sight gags ever.
Emperor of the North
Dr. Strangelove
20 Million Miles to Earth (Harryhausen stop motion) along with Beast from 20 Thousand Fathoms and Mighty Joe Young.

Many come to mind but only one to the top of the list:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Complex, you have to pay attention. One of the few times after seeing a film I thought "I missed a lot." and I did.

Great cast, acting, writing, story, and sets make it a pleasure to watch again though.

hqdefault.jpg

Pulp Fiction
Unforgiven

There are lots of movies which are good to re see, but these 2 - especially pulp fiction- seem to pop up something new every time I watch.

I think it's the rapid pace of the plot in "Pulp", plus the dialogue/actions come out like a machine gun reports (pun intended).

Q

Come to think of it, another movie just popped up..."The Usual Suspects". Read about the background of this flick and the ways that the whole production was put together. I WAS different, eh? I keep seeing little things in it that I notice every time I rewatch it.

Q

Last edited:
Jury's STILL out on this one, eh? I think a couple of drinks might help in appreciation before taking it in. :D It is surreal in places.

Protagonist did carry off his role well.

Q

There is NO doubt about this one. And this comes straight from the Dude.

A few not mentioned yet:
Repo Man (1984)
Silence Of The Lambs
Demolition Man
Evil Dead 2
Heat
The Hitcher (1986)
Full Metal Jacket (honestly ANYTHING by Kubrick,,,but I believe this one has'nt been mentioned yet...)
Jackie Brown (ditto Quentin's movies...)

I dunno,a list like this could go on & on forever so I'll just go with those for now.

FWIW

Bret P.

Back
Top Bottom