Canadian radio stations to stop playing Baby It's Cold Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always been relatively innocent flirting and playing around. Alcohol, drugs, hormones, and just plain agressive power play conquest behavior is the issue, with boundaries being misunderstood and ill-defined. "Casting couch" culture also exists outside show biz, pay-to-play power play which is always reprehensible.

Is it that time of the month already?

91sn32Q.jpg

If only my generation were offended by the important stuff, like the phrase "happy holidays." :p

I watched 95 year old Bob Dole lifted from his wheelchair to give GHWB a final salute. From the young Army LT from the 10th Mountain Div in Italy to the young flyer shot down in 1944, a salute for their sacrifice.

That some now feel that a simple song can somehow harm them shows the difference in humanity today.

I weep for our culture.

Steve Miller still can't say s--t, I guess we're heading down that road again with a different type of censorship. Be a lot of music burned.

Over-reaction by (would be) advertisers sucking up to whatever is new and being talked about.
Bogus!

Der Bingle?

I met a guy a few months ago who was in town for a reunion of his segregated high school. He was only in his sixties. I take it as a sign of societal progress that we now have time to scrutinize the lyrics of a [crummy] seventy year old Christmas song.

I bet the number of people truly offended by the fact that people don't like the song vastly outnumbers the number of people truly upset by the song. There's probably a handful at most of people my generation or otherwise that are truly worried about it. The rest of us just think it's a worn out tune.

Over-reaction by (would be) advertisers sucking up to whatever is new and being talked about.
Bogus!

It amazes me that some derp will post something on Twitter that says something is racist or sexist or whatever and then the next day that item is picked up as gospel. Instead of having a conversation about the item, it becomes something to use as a weapon against other Americans. They need to learn that to be offended does not make one right.

Total PC bullshit!!!!!! I have it on vinyl. Play it every year. I guess I will have to open a window so all can hear. What bullshit!!!

I think it's ironic that radio stations are the one's not playing it. The only people who listen to radio are the old folks who don't have a problem with the song. Whatever, I'm not a fan of Christmas music. It's generally too sappy and melancholy for my taste.

*Backdoor Santa, Christmas in Hollis, and Santa Bring my Baby Back to Me excluded.

'Only one line that gives me pause:"The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)"
That should pretty much be the end of the song.

BTW, I have multiple versions of it and will continue to listen to them until my final Christmas.

I take it as a sign of societal progress that we now have time to scrutinize the lyrics of a [crummy] seventy year old Christmas song.

I take it as a sign that people have so little of real importance to occupy themselves or their minds, that they have to look for problems where none exist.

It a sad state of affairs and I have zero interest in the collective outrage industry that is a byproduct of giving a whole lot of people airtime and platforms to become virtual lynch mobs.

I get the Me-too movement, and it's painful to see folks I thought I liked and respected caught up in it, but the most aggregious of them deserve everything they get and more for betrayal of trust and abuse of authority. Perception is everything, and when flirting become abuse is case by case.

I take it as a sign that people have so little of real importance to occupy themselves or their minds, that they have to look for problems where none exist.

It a sad state of affairs and I have zero interest in the collective outrage industry that is a byproduct of giving a whole lot of people airtime and platforms to become virtual lynch mobs.

A couple of generations back and a large percentage of my country was offended to the point of violence that they'd have to go to school in the same classrooms as black people. A few short decades before that and women were having to fight tooth and nail to be allowed to vote.

On the list of things to concern myself with, a few folks not liking a Christmas song because they haven't lived within the cultural context the song was written in just doesn't rank.

The good old days weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom