Cannot hook stereo to a Samsung TV.

superdog

AK Member
For my brother he went through the standard routine and I tried it.No sound.We tried everything we could to the extent of our ability which isn't much.Is there something about Samsungs?

How old is the set?

Most contemporary sets don't have analog audio connectivity.

You may need a digital to analog convertor

Naturally they sell them on Amazon. One brand name to search for is Prozor.
Not suggesting that brand, it's just easy to find.

Failing that as the issue you may need to access the audio menu using the remote and see if there is a setting that need be changed.

I am on my phone, so it's not easy to provide any links, but I recall this issue coming up on AK more than once.

Mebbe do a search...

What model Samsung is it? I have a Samsung 8000 series and had no problems hooking it up, so maybe I can help.

Audiofreak71

I have a 2011 smart tv and 3d as well as a 2013 smart 3d. When you use a 3.5 mini jack to RCA plugged into a amp you don't have to select anything in the sound menu. When you used a digital output like a optical you have to go into the sound menu and select the device.

I have a Samsung tv and use the optical output to a FIO D30 Dac I have to select pcm stereo on the menu since the FIO does not do Dolby or 5.1 and such.

Certain models of Samsung do not output "app" audio through the digital audio output. In other words, you can hear "Days of Our Lives" audio through the amp, but not Netflix, which is an "app."

Not sure if this is the case w/ your TV. BTW, I use the optical out with an inexpensive but decent DAC.

Last edited:
As others have suggested, a specific model number would be helpful. And, as others have suggested, on some units you have to select either the TV's internal speakers or External outputs.

Does your brother have the user manual?
He bought a new Samsung. I don't know what model #s were the ones we tried but were a bit older.He lives in another city so I have no model #s at the moment.I will try on a 32 " older Samsung that I have and tried to get stereo sound out of before and couldn't.Just weird how on a number of other tvs I have tried and got stereo out of but not these Samsungs.

Back in the day when some Televisions did not have RCA out, we would run the coaxial to a VHS player input and use the RCA line out to a Receiver.

Certain models of Samsung do not output "app" audio through the digital audio output. In other words, you can hear "Days of Our Lives" audio through the amp, but not Netflix, which is an "app."

Not sure if this is the case w/ your TV. BTW, I use the optical out with an inexpensive but decent DAC.
What if one wants to watch Days via Netflix? Some of us need to watch our 'stories' while the big speakers are playing.

Seriously though, I feel superdog's pain. Trying to sort out this stuff via phone or whatever is tough.
Can you get your bro to take a pic of the connections on the back superdog? Is there a chance that he's confusing the red/white audio inputs as outputs? I'm not all that hip with this stuff, but from what I've read/noticed analog audio outs aren't a given on new TVs anymore. The two LG models I have here(a 2016 and a 2013) don't have them.

What if one wants to watch Days via Netflix? Some of us need to watch our 'stories' while the big speakers are playing.

Seriously though, I feel superdog's pain. Trying to sort out this stuff via phone or whatever is tough.
Can you get your bro to take a pic of the connections on the back superdog? Is there a chance that he's confusing the red/white audio inputs as outputs? I'm not all that hip with this stuff, but from what I've read/noticed analog audio outs aren't a given on new TVs anymore. The two LG models I have here(a 2016 and a 2013) don't have them.
I'll see if I can get some pics of the back of a Samsung I could not get stereo sound from this weekend.

I have a Samsung that's 2 years old and I thought it only had optical and hdmi out but there's a 3.5 like 4-2-7 said. Mine wasn't even labeled but you know how it goes. See a hole.... Then I got a denon that has the two way single cord hdmi thingy.

Back
Top Bottom