Can't Cancel Spotify!

jdmccall

Their own instructions for cancelling do not work. But they are able to keep charging my card $10.00 per month. I'm about ready to blow a gasket. It appears my only solution would be to cancel the card.

My experience with Spotify points to a major peeve of mine -internet services or sales that are so easy to get, but once they get their hand in your pocket you can't ever get it out! Talk to "customer service"? Forget it! It's apparently non-existant.

So...one extremely unhappy Spotify user here. Future subscribers beware!

Ahhhhh -success! I logged out, then logged back in and was miraculously able to cancel from their website. All is well -assuming they quit charging me $10/month.

It was very strange. The cancellation instructions were simple enough once I found them but they just did not work. They would tell me to click on things that weren't even there -until I logged out and logged back in using my username instead of my e-mail address. I'm not sure that made any difference, though. It was probably just the act of logging out and then back in. Then the page looked like it was supposed to. All is well, so far. I'll chalk it up to a web site peculiarity...or user error.

Why did you cancel? We just upgraded to the family plan for $15 for up to 6 accounts.

Making cancelling hard is common now for most service companies. They can't "talk you down" online like on the phone so that's the Internet version. Highly annoying.

If that happens again you don't need to cancel your card. Just call your CC company and tell them to deny future payment. I use Paypal for as many prescription services as possible so I can easily cut off on my end my Paypal account.

It never ceases to amaze me how well they can hide the cancel link! One of the reasons I really detest most online subscriptions.

The automatic renewal unless you opt out bothers me. It's often kind of hidden and easily missed unless you read the entire policy. Deceptive practice if you ask me.
One of the reasons I really detest most online subscriptions.

Why did you cancel?

I just didn't use it enough to justify the cost. I've accumulated over 2500 CD's over the years, plus hundreds of LP's. And I still buy CD's. So I have enough of a music library to keep me entertained without paying for a streaming service. I'll continue to use the free Spotify and Pandora services occasionally, though.

Never had a problem cancelling my old Spotify subscription .. or any other online service for that matter. Sometimes servers go down or what not (submissions can get lost in bit land) ... had that problem with the local library recently (had to renew a book twice online ... 1st submission got lost). Always a good idea to follow up and check that the web site received your submission.

I play Vinyl mostly & Subscription Streaming. My CDs are used primarily for DAP rips ... think I've played like 3 thus far this year on my stand alone CD player.

Note: Should mention that I always submit by cancellation several days prior to renewal date ... not sure if that makes a difference but thought I should mention it..

Last edited:
I experienced difficulties cancelling Spotify a year or so ago. I got very frustrated with them and will never subscribe again. I understood their policies and used a credit card that was expiring so I knew I couldn't be billed. Well, they used the expired CC number and the charge was accepted. A heated discussion with CC folks and Spotify eventually resolved the issue.

Businesses often claim auto renewal is a customer service. I think it sucks. Many companies make it very difficult to cease auto renewal. Sirius XM also does this and my wife now only pays by check. Of course, letting the contract expire rewards you with an opportunity to get a lower price . . . works very well withe Sirius.

Roger

SiriusXM is the worst. You have to call them to cancel. Most of the others require you to log in to the web browser and cancel. I prefer Apple Music's method that allows you to turn off renewal from the AM app.

I got hooked up with a service called "Malwarebytes" (or something like that) a few years ago. Thought I'd never get unhooked! To me, it's just a bad business practice and I'm surprised it is so pervasive online. It is a good way to make sure no ex-customers ever come back.

Back
Top Bottom