Can't post, Can't Edit, Permissions, etc... Please use this thread

Been there, done that. Advanced search does allow you to check a specific user without entering any keywords if you check the "titles only" box, but it still lists all the posts. There IS a note to the right of each one whether it's a thread or a post, so better, but ...

Been there, done that. Advanced search does allow you to check a specific user without entering any keywords if you check the "titles only" box, but it still lists all the posts. There IS a note to the right of each one whether it's a thread or a post, so better, but ...
Search by Member, Tick 'Display Results As Threads'. If that member's avatar is beside the result, they are the thread starter. Not as easy as using their profile page (if not blocked)...but it's something.

just been to bartertown and seen at bottom right of page (You have insufficient privileges to post here.)
is there a fix i can do for this ?
slimjet browser latest ubuntu .

I have kind of given up on the new format. It screws you, and just when you think things are getting better it finds new ways to screw you. My commiserations to the many who are trying very, very,very, hard behind the scenes to improve things for the rest of us. It must be heartbreaking for all of them.

I have kind of given up on the new format. It screws you, and just when you think things are getting better it finds new ways to screw you. My commiserations to the many who are trying very, very,very, hard behind the scenes to improve things for the rest of us. It must be heartbreaking for all of them.
dont give up ..it will all be fixed for sure ..just needs the correct code in the correct places . yes i know its easier said than done but i am sure it will be sorted sooner or later .. modern day computer systems are relatively new to all of us and always changing so a challenging thing for anyone .

I have kind of given up on the new format. It screws you, and just when you think things are getting better it finds new ways to screw you.

??

Only problem I was aware of was permissions to post links and pics, and provide support for some of the more obscure operating systems in use.

(slimjet and ubuntu? For Petehall's sake!) :D

That was apparently due to ISP changes and had nothing to do with Xenforo or AK. That sort of thing can happen any time there's a hardware and/or routing change at the server level. I've been through the same thing several times on my own website, what with hardware changes and updates to OS and supporting software. What's nice is to have techs who can fix that sort of stuff on the fly once a problem is discovered.

Couple minor blips here and there are more than compensated for when you compare it to where the old board was going. There's several very good reasons for the mass migration away from that software, mostly having to do with security and invasion of privacy. I also miss a feature or two, but those pale in comparison to the improvements seen.

Last edited:
The Parent Barter Town forum is closed to posting by anybody. You have to go to the particular sub-forum, like Parts, Equipment, Media, etc., to see the Post New Thread button.

Luther, I just used the Test Forum Permissions on petehall347's account, and it seems to be working okay. Petehall347 wasn't aware that the parent forum is closed to posting.

The Parent Barter Town forum is closed to posting by anybody. You have to go to the particular sub-forum, like Parts, Equipment, Media, etc., to see the Post New Thread button.

Luther, I just used the Test Forum Permissions on petehall347's account, and it seems to be working okay. Petehall347 wasn't aware that the parent forum is closed to posting.
yes i am new to this .. i was looking for a good place to suggest a general region for advertising things .. example i keep seeing everything for sale or wanted many many miles away .. and obviously no use if say wtb or fs in usa and i was to notice in uk .. plus many other countries in the world too but these are main 2 i see .
anyway suggestion was to have a country specific forums for uk or whatever ..

I just had a heck of a time trying to send a couple of PMs, umm, I mean, start a couple of conversations.
"FORBIDDEN" messages kept popping up. Seemed to be related to certain characters (quotes, double quotes, maybe colons or other non-alphabet, non-number characters).
Changing browsers and choosing characters/punctuating very carefully allowed me to start the conversations.

I think the browser switch was a red herring, though (although I have no evidence, one way or the other -- it was a poorly controlled experiment!)

Thoughts?

I just had a heck of a time trying to send a couple of PMs, umm, I mean, start a couple of conversations.
"FORBIDDEN" messages kept popping up. Seemed to be related to certain characters (quotes, double quotes, maybe colons or other non-alphabet, non-number characters).
Changing browsers and choosing characters/punctuating very carefully allowed me to start the conversations.

I think the browser switch was a red herring, though (although I have no evidence, one way or the other -- it was a poorly controlled experiment!)

Thoughts?
you seem to have a very strange string of problems there ..have you tried a different computer ? or at least cleared browser cache and cookies etc ?

I smell Linux ... <G>

Same problem on my server a while back switching to a new Linux/Apache build. Case sensitive URLs was a problem as well. Cure was an addon that intercepted that sort of stuff and let it see what it wanted to see instead of what it was ... or something like that.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_speling.html

Maybe a similar issue?

I posted a question in Dollars and Sense a few minutes ago. It does not show up anywhere in "New Posts." However, I do see it in Dollars and Sense.

I smell Linux ... <G>

Same problem on my server a while back switching to a new Linux/Apache build. Case sensitive URLs was a problem as well. Cure was an addon that intercepted that sort of stuff and let it see what it wanted to see instead of what it was ... or something like that.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_speling.html

Maybe a similar issue?
I had that problem. I said to my doctor "Doc I think that my body is confused; My nose runs and my feet smell".

I posted a question in Dollars and Sense a few minutes ago. It does not show up anywhere in "New Posts." However, I do see it in Dollars and Sense.
It won't show in New Posts, for you, until someone replies to it. The computer knows that you have already seen your thread. Everybody else sees it in New Posts. Once.

Huh ... 86 ... 33 ... subtract ... divide by pi .... (mmmm ... pie!)

This you?

_70490020_flossie1.jpg

i remember my uncle building a valve powered computer that ran a large paper mill .. that is back in the day when a bug in system was an actual creature in the circuits .

Back
Top Bottom