Can't stay analogue forever

ericc129

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
with all the progession in DAC technology etc, I'm guessing we are getting close to a point of dimishing returns on investment, etc.....anyway, listening to vinyl is always as feasible in my home office and I was wondering where a good jumping off point would be in terms of purchasing my first DAC.....I've got great pwoer amps and tube pre amps as well but would like to eventually be able to hook up a DAC to stream and listen to music when I don't have the luxury to get up and down to flip records and stax o wax, etc......anyway, where is it nowadays that we start to hit the laws od diminishing returns with DACS....or where can I get my best bank for my buck. Especially with my aikido and singel eneded tube amps, etc....I'd love to have the luxury to stream from my computer or phone and still get great audio quality....I know its hard to beat the emotioanlly connection with vinyl, etc....but how much shoul I be looking to spend on a DAC to amke the most of my oldschool amplifiers, etc.

I suspect there hasnt been much response as this question gets asked several times within a several month window here and other sites.

Its also hard to answer without more info on what is a realistic budget for you, what will your source be, so on....

Theres people perfectly happy with $100 or less DACs and with their ears, gear, expectations I truly believe it is all they need and are perfectly happy.

And then one can venture off to the other far end of the $ spectrum. And of course endless folks between.

So short answer.... there is no answer.

I personally imagine most folks are happy with one of the many couple hundred dollar options. And again theres so much more that goes into what makes a DAC sound good beyond its design. And OMG is there allot to get into there.

Folks cant stop talking about the many affordable options from Topping. So I image they are a safe affordable bet.

I recently went DEEP into researching digital and DACs and my head is still spinning and Im still learning more each day.

I decided Id drop the coin on a quality made and engineered DAC and found a great deal on a used Prism Lyra 1. Quite happy with it. Its funny how it costs less than ALLOT of "audiophile" targeted TOTL DACs yet is often viewed as a gold standard in the professional recording and mastering scene. But thats another ball of wax.

BTW I love AudioKarma and its forums and posters overall. However allot has been written on this topic over at audioasylum in the PC audio and digital forums. One of the most popular forums over there these days. Lots of good info there. And if you want your head to explode like the beginning of the movie Scanners, check out computeraudiophile . The nerds will dazzle you with info on this there ;)

All the best man

yeah, I figure maybe a couple hundred to get my toes wet....I've eyed the toppings over the years and never pulled the trigger

Back
Top Bottom