Canton CT-2000 Speakers

cjmustang69

This pair of Canton speakers showed up on CL - about 3 1/2 hours from me. They were listed by original owner, who purchased them in Germany. I found limited info about this model on internet - but what I did find was positive. I decided to make drive yesterday to pick them up. The seller was a very nice gentleman who obviously had cared very much for these speakers. I've just hooked them up this morning to begin listening to them. A question I have regarding this speaker is "what is the finish" on them? The finish is quite glossy. The tops have no scratches or chips, but the finish is a bit worn. Given the excellent condition they are in, I'd like to properly refinish the tops .IMG_0410.jpgIMG_0409.jpg

Nice looking speakers, I am looking at a pair of Canton Ergo myself, can't answer your question, but nice haul.

Nice,,,very nice...

As a serious fan of the Canton brand,I'd be truly excited to add a pair of those to the collection.
It'll be interesting to hear you impressions on these after you've gotten a chance to do some extended listening sessions.

Bratwurst7s should be along soon,he'll likely be able to help you with any of your finish questions.

Congrats :thumbsup:

Bret P.

I missed seeing this earlier.

Very nice speakers! You made a nice score cjmustang!

I don't know if the clear-coat is a poly or lacquer but so far all of the wood veneer Cantons that I've seen have some kind of clear coat on them. I've been carefully hand sanding them down to wood and using Osmo Hardwax-Oil on them.

I just wrote Canton customer service and asked if they still have schematics for the CT 2000. It usually takes them a few days to answer. If I get anything I'll post it here for you.
If/when you decide to recap them let me know if you need help finding the cap values, the often won't be fully labeled.
There 2 different CT series, these are part of the first series along with the CT 800 and CT 1000. Afaik when released this line was Canton's TOTL, later taken over by the Ergo lines.

In the meantime, translated from HiFi Wiki...

Canton CT 2000
Data
General
  • Manufacturer: Canton
  • Model: CT 2000
  • Production Years: 1984-1987
  • Produced in: Germany
  • Color: Esche schwarz, Ash white, Walnut, Mahogany
  • Size: 355 x 980 x 350 mm (WxHxD)
  • Weight: 34,2 kg
  • New Price ca.: 3300,- DM (MSRP Pair)

Technical Data
  • Cabinet Type: 3-Way Bassreflex, Floor Standing Speaker
  • Chassis:
    • Woofer: 1x 310 mm Long-Throw Cone.
    • Midrange: 1x 120 mm Cone.
    • Hochtöner: 1x 25 mm Titanium Dome.
  • Load (RMS-/Peak): 150 / 300 Watt
  • Sensitivity: 94,5 dB [•* Working-Load:: 1,2 Watt (86dB, 3m Distance)]
  • Frequency Range: 18 - 30.000 Hz
  • Directivity: Over 125 Degrees at 12500 Hz
  • Crossover Points: 450 / 3.000 Hz
  • Impedence: 4 Ohm
The bass port appears to be some kind of transmision line rather than a round port. I've seen photos of the CT 1000 with a similar pair of rectangular openings in the upper rear.

So, how do they sound?

Cheers,
James

Thank you for all of the above information James - it is appreciated. I hope I enjoy the sound of these speakers as much as I appreciate the craftsmanship in their cabinets and grills. The quality of cabinetry is impressive. Relative to their sound, it will be interesting for me, as I have gravitated to speakers such as ESS AMT-1D and Quad ESL-2905 and what they do well. I intend to listen exclusively to the Cantons for the next several weeks before forming any conclusions.

Thank you for all of the above information James - it is appreciated. I hope I enjoy the sound of these speakers as much as I appreciate the craftsmanship in their cabinets and grills. The quality of cabinetry is impressive. Relative to their sound, it will be interesting for me, as I have gravitated to speakers such as ESS AMT-1D and Quad ESL-2905 and what they do well. I intend to listen exclusively to the Cantons for the next several weeks before forming any conclusions.

You are welcome. :) Happy to be of small use.

Canton sent me an Easter Egg today. A pdf with schematics for all 4 versions of the CT 2000. I just posted it to the AK database. It's a bit to large to post here directly, 1.6mb. So if you want it right away PM me and we can make arrangements to email it to you.

Cheers,
James

I intend to listen exclusively to the Cantons for the next several weeks before forming any conclusions.
I have been listening to the Canton speakers exclusively for the past week. I have been driving them with a Mystere tube amp (factory KT-88 tubes) and a McIntosh C-22 preamp. I just recently purchased the Mystere amp - so didn't have a lot of experience with it. It had been a difficult week, because as much as I wanted to like the performance of the Canton speakers (their size and quality of construction are very attractive to me) - their sound was disappointing. This morning, I decided to change out the KT-88 power tubes and replaced them with 4 new 6CA7 EH power tubes. To say the sound improved would be an extreme understatement. The coherence from top to bottom is now excellent. With this improvement, it is possible to hear the excellent imaging and sound staging they are capable of. I have gone from disappointment to new excitement for these speakers. This is the first time I have experienced such a dramatic effect by changing tubes - and am so glad I made the change.

You are welcome. :) Happy to be of small use.

Canton sent me an Easter Egg today. A pdf with schematics for all 4 versions of the CT 2000. I just posted it to the AK database. It's a bit to large to post here directly, 1.6mb. So if you want it right away PM me and we can make arrangements to email it to you.

Cheers,
James

Thank You for the additional information James. I will PM you in a few moments for the schematics.

Email with attachment sent. Note that the schematics are in German. Tomorrow I'll post a list of pertinent translations here for your use.

Cheers,
James

TT = Tieftöner = Woofer
MT = Mitteltöner = Midrange
HT = Hochtöner = tweeter
Dämpfung = Cabinet stuffing
Drossel = Coil
Widerstand = Resistor
Kondensatoren = Capacitor (FO = Folien = Foil. EL = Electrolytic)
On the crossover pcb wire connections E = Endstufe = amplifier = binding post connections
Often Canton elco caps will only show a part number and voltage on the cap itself. Just use the PN to look in the schematic for the µF values.

The coils part number can be translated to values. For instance "Drossel 7-320-16" = Coil #7, 3.2mH/1.6 ohm, "FK 36-235-071" = Coil, Ferrite Core #36, 2.35mH/0.71 ohm.

That should be enough to get you going.

Cheers,
James

TT = Tieftöner = Woofer
MT = Mitteltöner = Midrange
HT = Hochtöner = tweeter
Dämpfung = Cabinet stuffing
Drossel = Coil
Widerstand = Resistor
Kondensatoren = Capacitor (FO = Folien = Foil. EL = Electrolytic)
On the crossover pcb wire connections E = Endstufe = amplifier = binding post connections
Often Canton elco caps will only show a part number and voltage on the cap itself. Just use the PN to look in the schematic for the µF values.

The coils part number can be translated to values. For instance "Drossel 7-320-16" = Coil #7, 3.2mH/1.6 ohm, "FK 36-235-071" = Coil, Ferrite Core #36, 2.35mH/0.71 ohm.

That should be enough to get you going.

Cheers,
James

I received email you sent with schematics James. Thank you taking the time to send them and translate terms above. Given the improvement I heard changing out power tubes on my amp, I've ordered new 6sn7 tubes for it also. I expect these will have an even bigger impact on the performance of system and then will be able to better judge the Canton speakers.

Last edited:
I love Canton speakers. I have a passive sub they make which is a cube with a 12" woofer, sounds great.

THose are beautiful!! Canton. MB Quart, Braun/ADS, are all so nicely built...

latest topic about canton ct 2000 that i found
own a pair for 13y now, bought them from the very first owner for just 150 euros, cause my jbl bass crimps died after a long Party.

they are fired by a nad 214:
massive bass, weak middle, excellent even hurting heights - i always reduce them a bit.

the ceiling of my 25m2 1910 flat starts swinging at a certain loudness :D
ingenious party speakers. do have parties with live dj's they are amazed every time :p

amateur, cant explain exactly, but my guess: due to the case openings in the back my impression is that they provide wide room filling big volume sound. Or is it simply the low bass? duno yet.

They need to go, need the space (2 big corners) . trying to replace them with other smaller old canton, which can go onto shelves.

fact:
karat 940 cant compete in mo way, even tough the mids are a bit better, but the sound like horns. but still good. Next pair 2come is karat 60, shot on ebay for low, 260mm instead of 210mm bass, so lets see!

(yes, we are bass heads)

A question.
One 2000 goes on & off at low loudness
but is perfectly fine from a certain level on.

whats your guess, what should be replaced?
thx!

Last edited:
My thoughts...

Karat 60's are great speakers. Slightly better might be the CT 800 although they are actually very close to each other. The Karat 9x0 series imho were a step down for Canton, not as good as the Karat 20/30/40/60 that preceded them. In a similar size the older Karat 300 might be interesting for you, as well as the Quinto 540.

As far as your drop outs with the CT 2000, if it is the speakers and not the amp I would be carefully re-soldering every solder connection in the speakers before doing anything else. Don't forget the wires attaching to the drivers themselves. Then do a listening test. If you were planning on keeping the speakers I would recommend re-capping after that.

Cheers,
James

habe die ehre james, danke für die info :)

interesting, i am selling the 940 anyways.
curious about the K60, wanted to get the 300 yes, but then the K60 popped up in fugly white, so they were just 140,- :D

the amp is fine, its definitely the one speaker.
thx, noted! cant give the 2 towers away, they will go into the storage in a safe corner :)

holy moly, 1200,- für the ct 2000?? ebay.com 232500308765 guess they are pretty rare in US?

re-capping is new to me, if i keep the 60, thats something to think about
even tough i really dont like soldering... kindof too clumsy fingers for that.

I don't know anything about these except these are the top of the line for Canton at the time. And considering the way my Karat 300s sound at maybe half the size of those, they must be pretty damn great.

Hi Guys!
I am new member of AK.
I just picked up a pair of CT 2000.
I’ve been looking for these for quite a while.
Sadly the midranges are dead, and I fear I have to get some replacement drivers.
I don’t want to modify the cabinets, in case I find the original midranges later.
Does anyone have any data for the 2244 midrange?
I emailed Canton today, but they didn’t have any data.
Thanks!

Hi Guys!
I am new member of AK.
I just picked up a pair of CT 2000.
I’ve been looking for these for quite a while.
Sadly the midranges are dead, and I fear I have to get some replacement drivers.
I don’t want to modify the cabinets, in case I find the original midranges later.
Does anyone have any data for the 2244 midrange?
I emailed Canton today, but they didn’t have any data.
Thanks!

Welcome to Audiokarma rorres.

I don't have any data for those mids but until you find some you should be able to use some Canton 3669 120mm mids (from the CT-80/90, Karat 40 & 60 etc) as replacements. They come up very regularly on ebay.de, although I just checked and there aren't any up right now. I don't have any of them on hand right now so can't help you either. But as I said they show up pretty regularly and with a little patience you should be able to find a pair.

The 2244 is also used in the CT 800 and they do show up at ebay.de, just not as often as the 3669's. The 3669's are actually crossed over higher in the Karat 60 etc and they all have fairly similar sensitivity so you should be able to get away with the 3669 with no problems and it should be a drop-in fit.

Odd that the mids would be dead and not the tweeters. Have you de-soldered them and checked them with an ohm meter out of circuit?

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom