Canton CT-80, white finish.

Mark Wickins

hey chaps and chapesses, Came across some Canton CT-80 speakers today, has any one got experience with these great looking speakers, im looking to replace my Advent Legacy speaks for something that has some refinement in the sound delivery, im running a NAD 7175PE and Adcom GCD 575 which are very laid back sounding and the Advents, unless you drive the crap out of them dont seem to do it for me, I can borrow the Cantons to try at home but just thought I would get some feed back on any experiences with these.
Thanks much, Stump the Dog.

Have'nt heard those specific Canton's...
But I thouroughly enjoy the ones I do have (Plus S & GL-260 w/a AS85-SC sub to boot).
So for me it would be a pretty safe bet I'd like these as well.

If that 7175PE was'nt up to the task of properly driving these Canton's I'd just use those pre-outs >>> a different power amp that's up to the job.
Me,,,I'd love to have a pair of those CT-80... :rockon:
Yep I'm a Canton fan alright. :cool:

JM2¢

Bret P.

I have a friend that has a pair.

Canton CT 80
General:
  • Manufacturer: Canton
  • Model: CT 80
  • Production Years: 1987-1990
  • Produced in: Germany
  • Finish: Ash Black, Ash White, Walnut, Oak, Mahagoni
  • Measurements: 280 x 800 x 285 mm (W x H x D)
  • Weight: 19 kg
  • New Price ca.: 1900,- DM (MSRP Pair)

Technical Data:
  • Cabinet Style: 3-Way Bass-reflex, Floorstanding Tower
  • Chassis:
    • Woofer: 220 mm
    • Midrange: 120 mm
    • Tweeter: 25 mm Aluminum-Magnesium-Dome
  • Load Carrying Ability (RMS-/Peak): 100 / 150 Watt
  • Sensitivity: 93,4 dB
  • Frequency Range: 22 - 30.000 Hz
  • Crossover Points: 450/4000 Hz
  • Impedence: 4 Ohm
The woofer is part number 3125, mid is #3669 and the tweeter is #2457.

The HF section of the crossover has 2x MKT film caps that won't ever need to be changed normally.
For the rest of the crossover you will need 3 elcos if you are planning to re-cap (recommended). The µF values won't normally be printed on the caps in a Canton crossover.
Mid-range caps are # 3098 = 18µf and # 2801 = 47µF.
The woofer cap is #1615 = 120µF.

When I recapped the crossovers for my friend I mapped them out and did an Xsim layout. I also measured the old caps and plugged their numbers in to see what the drifted values would do to the crossover points. You can see from the screenshots that there had been a subtle shift downward in the crossover points. For reference the old caps measured ca 23.7µF/0.7 ohms (SB 18µF), 61.2µF/0.4 ohms (SB 47µF) and 139.9µF/0.2 ohms (SB 120µF).

CT-80 Crossover New Caps.jpg CT-80 Crossover Old Caps.jpg Frequenzweiche Original.jpg

LOL, I haven't actually heard these speakers yet, my friend removed the crossovers and brought them in to work where we re-capped them. But next month sometime he will be bringing them over for some troubleshooting because he is having problems with one of the woofers, from his description it is making strange noises at some frequencies. This after replacing the woofer. I'm suspecting a bad seal at this point.

But, working correctly the speakers should sound very similar to my Canton Karat 60's, and they sound very good indeed.

I hope that this is helpful.

Cheers,
James

edit: PS, After a re-cap the CT-80's won't normally sound "lad back" at all but rather very clean and clear, Cantons are normally very neutral and accurate.
PPS: The coil values shown in the schematic are derived from my measurements of the coils removed from circuit and not from Canton data. So they aren't necessarily perfectly accurate.

Last edited:
Btw, Canton's in general respond very well to lots of power. Not talking about loudness but sound quality. With 93.4db sensitivity the speakers shouldn't have any difficulty getting loud with your NAD 75w amp. But they will imho sound better with more power. That's been my experience anyway.

My friend is using a re-capped Yamaha AX-700 with his CT 80's, a pretty good combination imo. But, full disclosure, I am a rabid fan of the combination of Canton speakers and Yamaha amps. So I'm not exactly objective in this regard. On the other hand I've been listening to a lot of different Cantons paired with different Yamaha amps and they sound universally good together imho.

Cheers,
James

Btw, Canton's in general respond very well to lots of power. Not talking about loudness but sound quality. With 93.4db sensitivity the speakers shouldn't have any difficulty getting loud with your NAD 75w amp. But they will imho sound better with more power. That's been my experience anyway.

My friend is using a re-capped Yamaha AX-700 with his CT 80's, a pretty good combination imo. But, full disclosure, I am a rabid fan of the combination of Canton speakers and Yamaha amps. So I'm not exactly objective in this regard. On the other hand I've been listening to a lot of different Cantons paired with different Yamaha amps and they sound universally good together imho.

Cheers,
James
So what are the white Canton CT 80's worth, they are in 10/10 condition.

Hello there,

I also own a pair of Canton CT80 Speakers which have a problem on the left speaker. More accurately, only the tweeter works - i have some highs in the midrange also (wierd?) and no woofer output.

They were working fine with an Yamaha RX V659 Receiver until the left channel broke - the resistance on the amp burned.

What should I do to repair the broken speaker? I have the crossover schematics and will visit a friend to take some measurements but what brand of capacitors to choose for replacement? And how do I know which version of the CT80 series I am in possesion? (There are 4 or 5 variants of them as I see from the crossover schematics)

Thank you in advance and sorry for my not so perfect English skills - I'm from Romania! :)

L.E.: After the Yamaha Receiver stopped working I switched on a Sony TS7 (Scenario Series) rated at 80w/4ohm - which works without problems.

You need to start your own thread to get better/more responses. Also asking asking questions like this in someone else's thread is frowned upon.

You need to start your own thread to get better/more responses. Also asking asking questions like this in someone else's thread is frowned upon.
Oh God damn, and I also used to be an administrator on a dedicated forum.

I am sorry for this situation - with this occasion I will read the rules more carefully and move the subject to a new thread. Thanks for pointing this out, will never happen.

Oh God damn, and I also used to be an administrator on a dedicated forum.

I am sorry for this situation - with this occasion I will read the rules more carefully and move the subject to a new thread. Thanks for pointing this out, will never happen.
Not a biggie. I did it too. Almost everyone does it at first. Welcome aboard. I have a pair of Canton Karat 300's. Just wonderful speakers.

Back
Top Bottom