Canton Ergo 31 speakers... are they the bees-knees for a hundo?

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
Local CL ad, has these for $100...

I have never heard any Canton before, but I've heard good things here...
So, are Canton Ergo 31s for a $100 a sure thing? Are these to cheap to pass up, or meh... ?

Just came home with them. They are a tiny bit rough cosmetically, but I will try to spit polish them. Will soon plug them in!
Thanks fellers!

It looks like you don't have to worry about recapping them: "Taking a page from Canton's flagship Karat Reference 2 system, the Ergo line features newly upgraded crossover components for improved sound quality. The Ergo crossovers now contain ICW polypropylene capacitors, which allegedly reduce memory effects and produce finer detail with improved transient response. After reading some of Canton's internal design documentation and listening to the Ergos, it is evident that their engineers pride themselves on a system approach to loudspeaker construction. Each component must work together for perfect sound. The crossover network and its DC design is not an afterthought, but rather an integral part of the Ergo sound."

Every Canton I've heard was excellent. I heard their new TOTL at RMAF and was very impressed. Let us know how you like them once you get them hooked up, positioned in your room, etc.

Every Canton I've heard was excellent. I heard their new TOTL at RMAF and was very impressed. Let us know how you like them once you get them hooked up, positioned in your room, etc.

Well.... These are NOT bookshelf speakers! I have them 8 feet apart, and ~4 feet off the floor.
These are superb! They move serious air! . ..they sing like an angel and growl like a bulldog.
This is by far the best $100 I have ever spent in audio!
Very excited!

Well.... These are NOT bookshelf speakers! I have them 8 feet apart, and ~4 feet off the floor.
These are superb! They move serious air! . ..they sing like an angel and growl like a bulldog.
This is by far the best $100 I have ever spent in audio!
Very excited!

Super! Glad they turned out to be a great buy - enjoy!

Nice find and good job. In thirty years of vintage audio hunting I've never found a pair of Canton speakers.
I guess they never made it to the West Coast.

Nice pick. Like that they can do 4 ohm.

What type of amp are you driving them with? Low wattage? Or they need more power?

Nice find especially for a hundy. One of the guys in the Yamaha forum is in Germany and swears by Cantons. I've never seen or heard a pair but going by your impression it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Nice pick. Like that they can do 4 ohm.

What type of amp are you driving them with? Low wattage? Or they need more power?

I have tried many:
Solid State:
Marrantz 1200 - Sounded good... gain @ 1/3 maxed them out
Marrantz 4300- Same as you would guess
Marrantz 2216b - Sounded decent at 1/2 gain
onkyo m-501-sounded good Gain @ 1/4...
MA- 6200 - Sounded great ... Gain @ 1/3
B&K 60wpc - Beautiful! This might be where they stay... I can get a good 2/3 gain and they react very well ...

Tube:

Ampex 6973 stereo with Carver pre - Lovely! Gain cranked
Rouge Cronus Magnum - Slightly better than good, approaching great... 1/4 gain but me thinks too much tube power... and the Canton color really seemed highlighted.
Marrantz 8b - Yummy! !!! Using a Mac pre-amp -- this would be wonderful, but the 8b is married already...
VOM 6bq5 quad - 13wpc just aint enough...
Fisher 400 - Nice but they need more...
Fisher 800b- Lovely-
HH scott 299c Lovely match but still a little thin on watts

Conclusion:
I like 60wpc SS with these...

Nice find especially for a hundy. One of the guys in the Yamaha forum is in Germany and swears by Cantons. I've never seen or heard a pair but going by your impression it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I have a stack of smaller speakers... but I am searching out some more Cantons !!!

Today I bought a pair of Fonum 251 DC to maybe be the rear speakers in a 5.1.
I bought them sight unseen, sound unheard .
I haven't hooked them up yet... excited

Back
Top Bottom