Capacitor Cases Bolted to Chassis/Ground

xratedpez

Hi folks,

Restoring a pair of tri-amped Braun speaker and just got around to replacing two filter caps. The originals have a metal case with positive and negative terminals on top and have a bolt protruding from the bottom of the cap case which is bolted to the chassis/ground.

Using the DMM continuity function, I cannot see any continuity from the case to either terminal. The schematic has some strange symbols (and is entirely written in German) but I don’t see any explicit ties to ground for these caps (or anywhere else, really).

I’ve replaced the caps and it is now blowing the 1.6A slow blow fuse. Looking to see if anyone has experience with caps of this type and can explain what’s going on.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 99984F57-6F8B-4BF8-B993-76519F3FACE0.jpeg
    99984F57-6F8B-4BF8-B993-76519F3FACE0.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 39
  • AAAE29BD-4032-464B-A14C-AD68EA64E16E.jpeg
    AAAE29BD-4032-464B-A14C-AD68EA64E16E.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 42
That's good when no continuity from the case to either terminal.

But... so often filter caps negative terminal is tethered to ground (which I thought would be clever here, using the case rather than a wire). But it doesn't seem to be the "case". Get it? :rflmao:

That's a common motor start capacitor case, usually the case is not connected to the capacitor. Grounding it wont affect things either way. Jeez that symbol is too close to a swastika!

Back
Top Bottom