Caps in parralell! (voltage rating)

Kegger

R.I.P. 1/12/1966 - 6/1/2017
What happens to the voltage rating of caps in parralell.

For example say you have 1 cap at 33uf and 450volts then you parralell
it with a cap at 50uf and 400 volts.

I know you end up with 83uf but what happens to the voltage rating now.

Would it end up at something like 200 volts it can handle or would it just
be whatever the lowest voltage rated cap would be, in this case 400?

Or something completely different?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

400 volts. Since the caps are in parallel, when the voltage reaches 400vdc, each capacitor will be seeing 400vdc.

In theory, to get more working voltage, you put capacitors in series. In practice it gets messy.

John

Yah I knew about the series deal that's why I was hoping it wouldn't do the opposite
for parralell as many things electrical do.

Thanks a lot sir!

that's allright rich at least now the answer is backed up so I have 2 telling
me the same thing.

sounds good to me!

thanks guy's.

We have used the series capacitor setup in extra high voltage amps such as RCA 807 PA amps with no problems...you just need to put a resistor across each capacitor to help equalize the voltage across the caps. The amp orginally was equipped with series-connnected 450 volt electolytics and the associated resistors for a 900 vdc rating.

Chad Hauris said:
We have used the series capacitor setup in extra high voltage amps such as RCA 807 PA amps with no problems...you just need to put a resistor across each capacitor to help equalize the voltage across the caps. The amp orginally was equipped with series-connnected 450 volt electolytics and the associated resistors for a 900 vdc rating.

I've had to do that quite a few times. Many of the old theater & PA gear had 600V oil caps in them leaving you little alternative. As you state, the balancing resistors are key plus they discharge the caps after use.

Back
Top Bottom