Capture 930 problems?

centsless

I purchased a ten inch Capture 930 two days ago from a big seller on the Bay. Yesterday, I get a full refund with an explanation that they are running into issues with this product and check back as they attempt to resolve it.

Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks...

for me, so far so good for the 4 7" inch 930's I bought from directly from splicit. com just 2 weeks ago. I'm not an expert so I will be watching this thread for more info.

for me, so far so good for the 4 7" inch 930's I bought from directly from splicit. com just 2 weeks ago. I'm not an expert so I will be watching this thread for more info.

Guess no one buys Capture. Haven't heard anything back so looking for other ideas for recording tape.

I am new at this. This Akai GX-650D was given to me. There was a Maxwell 10" tape with it that was poorly recorded. I recorded over this tape and about fell down when I played it. It sounded incredible and now has 1 1/2 hrs of music on it...:) I bought the Capture 930 on the recco of others here so I can record more. It is about half done and it sounds pretty good also. Still learning my way around this unit....but I enjoy it.

Just set it up and used it. I have controls for speed, input volume, a control for low hiss or wide dispersion, and a SOS (sound on sound) control that I have yet to find out what it does. At 7 1/2 speed, it is recording nicely. Still learning some stuff on it.

An average but healthy tape calibrated correctly to the recording deck will sound much better than a high end tape recorded on a deck not calibrated for it. At a minimum 100hz, 1khz and 10khz need to be set flat (4dbV) to within +/- .5 db.

An excellent investment is to get a MRL calibration tape for the speed you record on with the fluxivity of your heads. An MRL calibration of both the record deck and the playback deck(s) will provide the highest performance. Also make sure your meters are adjusted to 0db for 1khz signal at 4dbV before calibrating.

Last edited:
. (Also make sure your meters are adjusted to 0db for 1khz signal at 4dbV before calibrating.)

Have no idea of what you are telling me.

. (Also make sure your meters are adjusted to 0db for 1khz signal at 4dbV before calibrating.)

Have no idea of what you are telling me.

When you record a tape you set the levels to the meters on your deck. How do you know the meters are right? The first thing to check before doing any calibration of a tape on a deck is to make sure the meters are correct. The industry standard is 4 decibel volts (4dbV) at 1khz frequency input should read 0db on the meter. You will need a volt meter that has dbV reading along with a tone generator to do this adjustment.

When you record a tape you set the levels to the meters on your deck. How do you know the meters are right? The first thing to check before doing any calibration of a tape on a deck is to make sure the meters are correct. The industry standard is 4 decibel volts (4dbV) at 1khz frequency input should read 0db on the meter. You will need a volt meter that has dbV reading along with a tone generator to do this adjustment.

Thanks for advice....but it ain't gonna happen. Just too much trouble and more money on something I am just experimenting with. I am happy with what I hear so far but will only have three or four tapes for parties...etc..so not a great need for A+ recording. It sounds pretty good now...:)

Thanks for advice....but it ain't gonna happen. Just too much trouble and more money on something I am just experimenting with. I am happy with what I hear so far but will only have three or four tapes for parties...etc..so not a great need for A+ recording. It sounds pretty good now...:)

Be aware that tape can provide a unique sound quality that can ruin you for other formats...

Thats how it starts...two years later you'll have a several half tracks and quarter track decks and 50+ tapes!

Be aware that tape can provide a unique sound quality that can ruin you for other formats...

I have a very nice Sony CD player that I am recording from plus the radio. This McIntosh MX-117 preamp tuner is simply marvelous in picking up stations without any kind of hiss or noise.

The Maxwell tape that came with the RTR has recorded beautifully and is competing with the CD player. I may just buy those but I see the ten inch goes for a good buck for sealed.

Thats how it starts...two years later you'll have a several half tracks and quarter track decks and 50+ tapes!

Lol!....been that way with speakers and amps so trying to behave. This is how ignorant I am about RTR's....I just found out by accident that I could flip tape to record more....sigh. That led me to find and download the Akai manual....but no volt meter or tone generator.......yet...:)

Back
Top Bottom