Cardtridge for my Dual? - new member

paulj

Hi. I am a new member here. Looking for suggestions for a better quality, higher output than the (4mv) Ortofon OM5 I have in my Dual 1219.

Thanks, Paul

paulj said:
Hi. I am a new member here. Looking for suggestions for a better quality, higher output than the (4mv) Ortofon OM5 I have in my Dual 1219.

Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul
Welcome to AK!
You can use the search function to find a lot of info on cartridges here, but I think your best bet for sound quality is to just upgrade the stylus on your Ortofon. You can go to the 10, 20, 30 or 40 stylus and make HUGE jumps in sound quality. The 20 seems to be considered the best bang for the buck upgrade. The 30 does sound even better.
Would not help you with the output issue, but 4mv should be ok for most phono stages. What amp/receiver are you running it into? What problems are you having?

Hi Bigerik. Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Thanks for the tips re the Ortofons.

Re the 4mv output, I guess I'm just spoiled by the CD output!

Amp is Cambridge Azur 640A (measured in reviews @ 78wpc into 8ohms) with (nice) phono stage, into Tannoy HPD385A 15" dual concentric in large horn-driven enclosures.

Cheers, Paul

I don't know many modern cartridges which will give you more than 5 mv, so that is about the best you are gonna get. Is the low output causing any problems? I am doing ok with 2.25mv out of a high output moving coil, tho it is a little bit marginal. I would be ecstatic with 4 mv! :)
You would not believe the difference swapping the stylus will make. I would recommend it. Do some searched here for comments on the OM's.

Dual's ULM ta pair best with high compliance cartridges. For that reason many came paired with Shures of the era. I have V15-Vll mounted on my 1219 which works really well. I haven't compared Shures to the Ortofons but you likely wouldn't be disappointed with a V15-Vlll assuming you could find an oem stylus at a reasonable cost.

Add my vote to for keeping the Ortofon and upgrading the stylus. You can't do better for the price. :music:

Are the Ortofons high enough in compliance to really work well on a Dual ? Maybe just the visual I get in my head, of the small tapered look of the Orofon hanging under the massive Dual arm. Has anyone else tried this combo ? I have always used Shures on my Duals. What about Grados ?

Admittedly most of my Dual experience is with the later Duals (505 and 5000) and they always worked great on those. If it comes down to it, I can call the Dual/Ortofon distributor in Toronto and see what he says.
E

Ok, Just talked to Robert Tracy from All in One Electronics. They are the only Dual/Ortofon reps for North America. I asked him and he said your table will be a very nice match with the OM series. He suggested the OM-20 as a great bang for the buck upgrade.

you could also go for a ortofon vm 540 or a goldring g1022 system. the arm on the dual 1219 should be middle weight class, so you can put virtually anything underneath it, save very hard mcs.
michael

I have tried the following on my 1219:
Grado X+, Shure M97Xe, Shure M95ED with generic stylus, Ortofon OMB10, and Audio Technica AT-71E. I started swapping between the M95 and the M97, and I preferred the M95. Then I swapped between the M95 and the AT. I again preferred the M95. I just set up the Ortofon and will see which I prefer, though I really liked the Ortofon last time I mounted it. The Grado is now mounted on my other table (Dual CS-606) and I'm not sure I will add it back in the mix as I like it there. The 1219s arm has had no trouble playing any of these. I feel the M95, the Ortofon, and the Grado are the most musical of my (small) collection. I was surprised that I didn't like the M97 as well as the M95. Oh well, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried. I also have an Ortofon F or FF on the way to try. Good luck!

Steve

Ortofon makes a fine cartridge.

A cautionary note on the Dual 1219. The tonearm on the 1219 is highly similar to the tonearm on the 1229. Both have the single/multi switch. There is a failure associated with the S/M switch caused by a grommet underneath that deteriorates and crumbles. This grommet functions as a spring, and holds ball bearings against detents in the "tube" that moves up and down. This is supposed to help the mechanism cleanly switch from the S to M positions. As you might guess, when the rubber dies, the arm can get into a kind of intermediate position, not quite in S, not quite in M -- and when this happens the arm binds horizontally. When playing, the arm will tend to stick at one spot on the record. Now, you can customize a replacement grommet from standard grommets widely available. These work as well as the factory part. I've done this a zillion times. If you want factory parts google "Turntable Experts" in Southold, NY.

Also, on the 1219, check the cuing to make sure that the silicone oil still damps the arm as it descends.

Finally, check the clutch pad at the base of the arm that contacts the main lever. Part #223777. These tend to disintegrate, and when this happens the arm doesn't cycle correctly.

Hope this info is useful to you.

Best,

Fred Longworth
StereoTech Classic Audio Repair
http://www.repairaudio.com

Dual 1219 problems (was cartridge for my Dual)

Fred, you mentioned

Also, on the 1219, check the cuing to make sure that the silicone oil still damps the arm as it descends.

The arm decends pretty fast in manual mode, but is OK in auto. Do I need to top up the oil? Where is that point?

Also, I have tightened up my headshell, which was loose, getting access to the screw via the tonearm rest fixing hole. When I re-assembled the rest, the tonearm retaining clip was loose. Have I lost a spring or something? If so, what is the part no?

Thanks, Paul

To fix the cueing, you need to partially disassemble the tonearm. If you haven't done this before - don't!! Adjustments and tolerances need to be just right!

The silicone paste that you use is 500,000 weight - makes honey look thin.

Check out the HiFi Stantons

The 680 and 681 series are relatively cheap and plentiful. Had a nice Sonus go sour on a Dual CS 508 and replaced it with a 680 EL to nice effect. -pfc

paulj said:

Thanks, Paul

Back
Top Bottom