1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Care and Maintenance of Cassette and Reel to Reel.

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Vintage TX, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Edriz

Edriz AK Member

Thats the same one I use. I'd like a better one though. Anybody able to make some recommendations?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. john_w

john_w Miscreant

I mentioned this earlier as well...

Nortronics is the only brand I can personally vouch for.

3. eddisc

eddisc Super Member

I had a Nakamichi years ago... wish I could find it!:thumbsdn:

4. 1ajs

1ajs Pegcity Bits

no idea where to start...........

they've sat in a closet for 20yrs see a copy of dark side of the moon theres tape logs to go with them all sorts stuff from what i can tell
    [​IMG]

if u look hard enough theres a pink floyed one there side says dark side of the moon
    one of the tapes says war of the worlds curious
    also got deep purple made in japan thats sat on a shelf for yrs in the office

all belonged to my dad i have rescued from the trash imagin he will eventualy come get his stuff off me

got a sony tc-558 and a tc-338

5. 1ajs

1ajs Pegcity Bits

so been playing with the 558 and its started squeeling. imidiatly stoped playing help?

6. DareDevil

DareDevil Re-awakening hifi interes

7. DareDevil

8. Vintage TX

Vintage TX Analog forever

It's OK for cassette decks but suggest a bigger unit for reel to reel.

9. DareDevil

Thanks a lot, I'm using a cassette, and will order this demag soon :music:

10. Vintage TX

Vintage TX Analog forever

You welcome, that will work great for a cassette deck :)

11. 1ajs

1ajs Pegcity Bits

are the nobs on the sony tc-558 suppost to be hard to get off??? the screws are all out and they won't budge help?
    need to get them off to get at the contacts with cleaner befor i put it back in its case

12. Chremilos

Chremilos New Member

13. twintail

twintail New Member

Repair parts finding

Hi,

I'm finding Teac A-6700's tention arm and tape guide parts.
    my machine's tention arm was broken but Teac japan don't supply any repair parts to amateur:thumbsdn:

Maybe these parts used some machines: A-6600, 35-2B (Tascam series?)

Teac parts No. :

No. 5504445100 (Guide Assy, Tension)
    No. 5504484100 (Arm Assy, Tension)

Please give me ideas or if anyone have these parts, please sell to me!!

Attached Files:

14. scottstevens

scottstevens Well-Known Member

15. jlb2

jlb2 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is good to demagnetize even if you don't record. But it is important to do it the right way or you may well end up making things worse, so it is important to read the user manual. The model you show has a limited power, it can do the trick on small parts, but it is not powerful enough for big parts such as the heads and large pulleys of some recorders. "The" approved beefy demagnetizer is the Han-D-Mag, but the cost is not at all the same so you should only consider it if you have the use for it. It's a good investment though.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  16. coldlampin

coldlampin New Member

Hello, this is my first post on here, but I recently got a Marantz 5010 in great condition with the manual, but it's been sitting in a closet for I don't know how long. I'm sure it needs cleaning, but the manual only refers to using denatured alcohol to clean heads and other components, along with demagnetizing it.

The heads want to turn, but don't and the loader opens very slowly. These are the only two things I notice right now. Along with trying to clean it up a little, is there lube I need to use for the heads and loader or any other recommendations? Thanks!

17. kcollins4

kcollins4 Rocking somewhere

The heads don't move. They are what the tape slides over. The two reels turn the cassette tape. If nothings moving, likely you at least need belts. Yours have probably turned to black goo.

18. coldlampin

coldlampin New Member

Oh, okay. I'm not well-versed in all of the components, I guess I'm not sure what the heads are then. I'll have to do some more research on everything.

Everything in there just looks like it just has a little dirt on it and that's about it, but I wasn't sure if there was a certain type of lube I need to use at all to make it start going and the loader to open a little quicker. The previous owner took really good care of it since they originally bought it. There's some sort of belt I can see at the back of the reel and it looks okay, but it may not be. They start to turn when I push play, but don't get very far.

19. SX550

SX550 Well-Known Member

Here's a bad example of not caring about your reel deck, this is what my akai heads look like the day i purchased it:

[​IMG]

This is today :D

[​IMG]

quite an improvement :thmbsp:

20. jturntable

jturntable New Member

Hello Dear AK members . I am new here and I do-n't know if I am posting this in the right area,but I am trying my best.
    I just bought this deck from an old man in Windsor. upon first inspection I have fo-und the deck to be nearly new. The heads ,pinch rollers and even the face. This was kept really well unused for the past probably 35 years. I inserted a cassette and ready to discover the Tandberg sound. The sound was amazing.I only heard this quality from A&K reference 9500es not as musical though. This thing sounds different and I am ready to keep it fro life.I did all what should be done to the heads and belts. I kept it ON for several hours and attempted recording after I read the recording instructions and followed them accurately. Now that's sad. The recording wasn't good at all and there is rumbling hum more to the left channel in playback and recording only.obviously enough the heads are intact never been tampered with. I am devistated. There are no competant technicians in this area .any ideas. are the bad recording related to what is causing the hum. I can do basic stuff like replacing caps . PLease help.