Career change at 56 and outta work- suggestions?

tybrad

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am not trying to air-out or explore my situation- just looking for help to orient myself in the central MD job market.
I am a former HS physics teacher- BS in physics and education, MA in STEM education.

I am at a loss as to what I would be qualified to do and will be looking outside of education now.

Any ideas? Engineering has become too specialized from what I can see. Someone at Grumman told me though, that I might be considered for (non IT) Systems Engineering there, but no openings at the moment.

Tyler

Well what do you like to do?
What are your interest?
What other things do you know about, that you feel your good at?

I'll assume you have some sort of pension from teaching.

Is there a level of pay that would not make ends meet for you, like needing $50,000 a year and up to kinda generalize a pay scale.

Some pension. As a former science teacher, that (scitech) is my thing. I only have cursory electronics experience in rehabbing vintage stuff with MUCH help from AK'ers. What I do is mindful, exacting, OCD to fit and finish of whatever the job entails- in general, a conscientious employee.

I do not know what I want to do. I am in good physical shape and high elevation working does not phase me. The situation is, though, that I need ~50K a year to maintain lifestyle, with cutbacks.

At this stage of my working life academic schooling is out, trade training is not my first choice (money is EXTREMELY tight as I stopped earning in June and my wife was laid off in Nov '16 and had a cascade of medical issues that have only just now allowed for unemployment benefits and job searching).

I'm about the same age as Tyler and I'm an electrician. (Eyeing retirement in 5-7 years). At this point in my life i wouldn't recommend getting into trades (it is hard on the body over the years). You're also competing with younger people who aren't looking for as much money as you'd likely be looking now. I noticed you like the outdoors (What do you love is there anything that might work?) Maybe something like insurance sales (I'm thinking business not life) As a teacher you must have people skills:thumbsup:

I was just thinking, I deal with building automation systems (Siemens, Johnson controls, Schneider...) they have techs and PMs. I'd be lying if i knew exactly what the requirements are but with your science background i think you could pick this up pretty quick. It might be worth a shot.

I was just thinking, I deal with building automation systems (Siemens, Johnson controls, Schneider...) they have techs and PMs. I'd be lying if i knew exactly what the requirements are but with your science background i think you could pick this up pretty quick. It might be worth a shot.
Thank you. What is a PM?

The ins. sales- naw. I am not a salesman and would not like to be pinned to commissions.

Curious why you're getting out of teaching. I am a HS math/physics teacher and have taught at a charter school and now a private school. I'm only 30 but may help narrow it down if you told us why you're done with education. It's tough, so I get it if you just needed to move on.

I'd say that when a person gets older they need to start looking for a place to live that is less financially demanding. Reducing costly financial lifestyles with a less costly lifestyle, choosing a new way to live and enjoy life. Less work, more play in an environment that supports elderly living. I'd say liquidate and relocate to a less demanding environment where highly qualified english speaking teachers are in high demand. A nice friendly place like New Zealand or Australia, maybe even an english speaking Caribbean island. A work and retirement option....

Good suggestions, sure feel for ya...but then my best career changes/life changes all occured after disruptions.
I would hope that MA in STEM would be worth something in the marketplace, dang it!

Depending on where you're located, technical project management can be fairly easy to get into (gov and private), there's always a shortage, and technical/IT/software (STEM software, maybe??), PMs are frequently (usually, nowadays?) hired as contractors, though you'd have to find a 'pimp shop' willing to bring you on and help with training.
Technical backgrounds are a real plus..and managing kids in school HAS to be easier than managing IT types, or cats??:)
There are several different certification levels, but 2 years of part time courses (or less) would get you there.
Google PMBOK for the heavy duty professional qualifications/training required.

PM is a kind of 'generalist' profession (unlike software quality control or business analysis), too.
What I really liked about being a SW/IT PM was that (partly due to the business analysis aspects of it) I got to (had to!) learn a lot about what other people's jobs are like (and usually how badly organized they are)...and help them figure out things like work flow and process control.
Also helps if you like 'getting ducks in a row' and helping develop group dynamics...I learned a LOT about people skills for sure!

Regardless of all that, best wishes, and keep hunting for and trying out new occupations in your head!
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom