Carol Channing has died 97 years

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I will never forget her voice. It seemed like, she and her voice was everywhere. In recent years she was a regular as a voice actor in various TV animated shows. :oops:

1988 Photo
40786FBC-07C2-4D26-997A-74905E443253.jpeg

I worked many shows with Ms. Channing. My favorite was "Jerry's Girls". This was a show put together with a nice mix of Jerry Herman songs. Right near the end of one performance there was a loud boom and the power went out. The emergency lights came on and crew went out with flashlights and used them as spotlight. Carol was singing and Jerry was at the piano. She picked right up as if nothing had happened. She went on singing with no P.A. as did Jerry. A while later, Andrea McCardle (from "Annie" fame) joined in and they sang until they were sure there would be no power. This was an example of real Broadway troopers and was one of my favorite moments of doing 39 years of Broadway Shows.

The cause of the boom was an exploding squirrel that hit the wrong wires on the pole down the street.

If I'm not mistaken (and I very well may be), her only child (a son) was an accomplished artist and for several years did political cartoons for the Shawnee News Star which is/was a newspaper local to me published in Shawnee, OK. Not much of a newspaper now days but...
The best that I can recall his pen name was Chan Lowe which after reading her wiki bio makes sense.
RIP Carol.

She was one of the most animated performers I ever saw. She was bigger than life. That voice will never be mistaken for any one else. R.I.P.

97 years, that's a lot of memories. RIP C.C. and thanks for sharing your abundant talents with the world.

I guess it's finally "Oh well goodbye Dolly". She was a hell of an entertainer and I have heard it said her presence almost guaranteed a hit. They don't make them like her anymore, that's for sure. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom