1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Carpet Spikes for Series 2 Kappas ?

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by Listnnthdark, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Listnnthdark

Listnnthdark Well-Known Member

Greetings all . Thanks in advance for input and experience .
    I have relocated and new listening space has heavy wall to wall carpet . In thier previous space the 6.1s stood on a hardwood floor with an area rug in front of them . They felt like they had rock solid bond to floor with the "feet" on hardwood .
    Is it correct threre is some benefit from using carpet spikes with series 2 Kappa on heavy carpet ? . If so what might you suggest ? They are definately "tippy " and dont seem to have good solid contact with the floor .I understand every space will sound different and this one is larger and deeper than previous .but bass and lower mid seem a bit missing . Im thinking the bass and low midrange might be improved by adding spikes . ?? Is it correct that the purpose of carpet spikes is to create bond with floor to " solidify " sound ? ( kind of ? ) Any input from Series 2 owners would be appreceated .
    Please share information .. ( I also need to get a dac but thats a whole different ball of wax .:( .)
    Thanks ! :thumbsup:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

The 6.1's have a pretty small footprint and can be unstable on heavy carpet - as you've noticed. Spikes will improve connection to the floor and should help with the tippy thing as well. Maybe even go with more than four spikes per side for better coupling.

3. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

I'm not sure if this helps or not but Madisound has a small selection of spikes with the correct threads, if yours are the 1/4 x 20. The M6 type haven't worked on any of my Infinity's.

I think the idea is with the spikes is you pierce the carpet to the substrate beneath decoupling your speakers from the floor, which should cleanup the sound. I hope that's the right info, and yes the spikes (should) be a direct replacement for the feet.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  4. Listnnthdark

Listnnthdark Well-Known Member

Thanks for responces so far . TY 7.62 I assume you mean after removing stock "feet " the spikes would screw into place and not require drilling ? (I will check that out at Madisound ). I am wondering if I would need actual set of "spikes" or maybe some piece of metal hardware might suit this purpose . I thought of a childs " Jax " or some other solid little metal objects ( a tour through home depot on a "spike" hunt :banana:) And also curious as to whether other Series 2 owners who have them on carpet use spikes or just the teloscoping feet .
    Is there any concurance that on heavy carpet spikes would have a sonic value ? :idea: :music:

5. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Kappa 7.1 Series II

If I were to use them on thick carpet and padding I would add a larger base plate and spikes. I had them recently on a very thin carpet over concrete and a good whack up high would probably still knock them over.