Cars and other things with wheels.

Wow, that`s some nice iron in that old Texaco station....looks like a `62 Starfire in the back, a `71 Rally Sport Camaro, and an early-`90s 500 SL ?

I found the twin of that Starfire parked in a gas station parking lot when I was in college, repainted purple. I actually liked it so much I did a title search on it and wrote to the owner, who was a sweet old lady who was going to fix it up "someday"... sigh...

Is that a fixed-gear, or some type of multiple-gearset ?

Fixed gear, but there are two sets of holes on the crank handles ( not sure of my terminology here) that allow him to make the equivalent of a gear change depending upon how far away from center the pedals are mounted. It has a cool disk brake setup.....

uni crank.PNG

Last edited:
Fixed gear, but there are two sets of holes on the crank handles ( not sure of my terminology here) that allow him to make the equivalent of a gear change depending upon how far away from center the pedals are mounted. It has a cool disk brake setup.....

View attachment 1014550
Ahhhh-so....clever arrangement....positioning the pedals farther from the axle will increase your distance traveled (with greater effort) per revolution, having them closer to the axle`s centerline is better for hilly terrain. Smart !

Ahhhh-so....clever arrangement....positioning the pedals farther from the axle will increase your distance traveled (with greater effort) per revolution, having them closer to the axle`s centerline is better for hilly terrain. Smart !

Well the revolution stays the same..... always 1 to 1. However moving the pedals further from center gives you a bit more leverage to climb hills..... Unfortunately the change cannot be done on the fly.

800px-Fiat_124_Spider_old_-_prz%C3%B3d_%28MSP16%29.jpg

Fiat 124 spider

Better re-think that. :)

Beats me! I just thought it was cool, took that shot while we were on vacation in France earlier this month. It was on display at a little museum in Giverny dedicated to antique diesel stuff. Most of it was static machinery but this one had wheels, figured it fit the "other things" category the OP included...

[update] It's a Societe Francaise Vierzon tractor, apparently... big "SF" badge on the front and "Vierzon" marking on the top of the radiator shell. I still can't tell what is going on up front, looks like a cast manifold of some kind peeking out with a thin metal plate to cover it, and then below that some kind of light duty plumbing. Check this video (more on that page I didn't look at), looks like may be related to how you fire up one of these beasts - they have a propane or air tank attached down there:

John

Last edited:
KURT3NJyRvUdP43HKdU-_qkrDPuAHdE3hrToaRlwLMMcjtuYYDBno1nDcasGU7lVC2oOMGpLjrH0UD1rAwKKkf018moI6Cr5Cumo9R_YvZ38hIYwm7RFtT1sglgrjYT7WONatmV2D-U

Jensen-Healey a friend of mine drove up from Boston. He let me take it for a spin. Drove like a tractor compared to a modern car. Super fun.

Reactions: Rt8
Back
Top Bottom