Cart Advice for Denon DP-62L

-reverb-

Buying, selling... mainly buying
Subscriber
Hello All,

My wife is going to buy me a new cart for my Christmas present (she doesn't even know it yet!).

I have never had a good handle on turntables, carts and such, so I ask you folks to provide some suggestions - if you would please.

My source is in pretty good condition - mainly VG+ or better to Goldmine standards. The genre is mostly 70's-80's rock, prog-rock, new wave, alternative, with the occasional jazz and classical.

The system consists of a Denon DP-62L (straight arm), a restored Scott 299C and a pair of 1959 Stephens Trusonic 15" coaxial speakers in factory Stephens cabs.

Right now, the Denon is sporting an Ortofon OM 5E which sounds quite nice to my ears. I was told at one time I could upgrade the stylus to a much better version but I have since lost that piece of information.

Not sure I am up for the plunge into MC, so I am limiting myself to MM (unless that is a bad idea).

I was thinking of the Ortofon 2M Blue as a replacement. I would love to try carts to see what I really like but the nature of the Denon and it's arm make it so that is not as simple as a detachable headshell. I want to get it right the first time!

Please offer-up any advice - I am open to suggestions.

Please try to educate me a bit if you have a choice. Not just "get cart A, it's good". I am looking to learn so tell my WHY cart A is good.

Thanks All. I appreciate it.

Jay

Will be interested in the answer myself; my DP-62L has a Shure V15VxMR in it currently (also using the straight arm though I have both), but mostly because that's what I had on hand for good cartridges when I acquired it (it had almost the same cart already mounted in it, the V15VMR but with broken stylus). I've been happy with that, but am curious what the pundits here on the Turntables forum will recommend.

:lurk:

John

Hello All,

Right now, the Denon is sporting an Ortofon OM 5E which sounds quite nice to my ears. I was told at one time I could upgrade the stylus to a much better version but I have since lost that piece of information.

Not sure I am up for the plunge into MC, so I am limiting myself to MM (unless that is a bad idea).

I was thinking of the Ortofon 2M Blue as a replacement. I would love to try carts to see what I really like but the nature of the Denon and it's arm make it so that is not as simple as a detachable headshell. I want to get it right the first time!

Please offer-up any advice - I am open to suggestions.

Jay

You may want to get an after market upgrade stylus for the Ortofon OM5E cartridge.

The VividLine stylus should sound pretty good. :)
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ORTSCONC30.html

Hey jdurbin, if you ever want to get rid of the S arm I'll give you $10 for it :rolleyes: Hell, I might even stretch to 20!

No sir! Appreciate the "offer" but this one has all the weights and both arms and I'm going to hang onto them as long as I own the table.

Now, if you'd up that to $30 maybe we could talk :biggrin:

John

Balifly,

Thanks for the response. So here's where I was getting a bit foggy: the 10, 20, 30 etc Ortofon styli are compatible with the OM 5E cart?

I like the idea of just changing the stylus because of the lack of a headshell mount. Removing the cart from the arm is not a fun process.

Is there a vast upgrade between the Super OM when compared to the standard OM cart?

Last edited:
No sir! Appreciate the "offer" but this one has all the weights and both arms and I'm going to hang onto them as long as I own the table.

Now, if you'd up that to $30 maybe we could talk :biggrin:

John

Hehe. The prices for arms and weights is just ridiculous on these. I guess it's just supply and demand, but 200+ from a straight arm?? 300 for an S? Heck, I paid less than that for the entire table - with the arm!

Balifly,

Thanks for the response. So here's where I was getting a bit foggy: the 10, 20, 30 etc Ortofon styli are compatible with the OM 5E cart?

I like the idea of just changing the stylus because of the lack of a headshell mount. Removing the cart from the arm is not a fun process.

Is there a vast upgrade between the Super OM when compared to the standard OM cart?

Yes, those Ortofon stylus can be use on the same OM (5E) cartridge body.

Three Different Styli, Three Levels of Performance
All three Super OM models have the same body, construction, and magnetic circuitry. The only difference is the interchangeable stylus unit.

Choose between a nude fineLine stylus (Super OM 30), a nude elliptical stylus (Super OM 20), or an elliptical stylus (Super OM 10), all of which are cut and polished to the highest standards of the industry.

For demanding purposes, the Fine Line stylus is particularly recommended. This slim profile will track even the highest frequency groove information, At the same time, its larger than normal footprint ensures reduced distortion and record wear.

Naturally, you can upgrade a Super OM 10 to a Super OM 20, or even a Super OM 30 at any time. Your only expense will be the cost of the stylus unit. And if the original stylus is not worn out, you can still use it for less demanding applications.

The Super OM stylus units are also compatible with all the bodies of the entire ortofon OMP line. IF you own an OM cartridge, you are able to enjoy the improved stylus and cantilever technology of the Super OM range. However, it takes a Super OM body with Ortofon's new magnetic circuitry to realize the full Super OM potential.

There is no vast difference between the Super OM and standard OM cartridge body. :music:

The Ortofon Super OM Cartridges
OM Series- The new Super OM cartridges have been designed on the basis of Ortofon's lightweight moving magnet system - originally introduced in the OM (Optimum Match) Series - with two major refinements. By means of advanced computer simulation methods, it has been possible to define the natural pivot point of the system with unprecedented accuracy while achieving an optimum oscillation balance. This translates into improved linearity, higher channel separation, and reduced distortion.

In addition, Ortofon has succeeded in developing a technique by which to slit the less than 1 mm diameter hollow pole pins, thus significantly reducing eddy current losses caused by magnetic hysteresis. This sophisticated technology extends the frequency range and improves phase linearity. The cartridge body is manufactured from a Noryl plastic/glass combination, which ensures high rigidity, and freedom from resonances.

I had an Ortofon Super OM40 on my Denon DP 52f. I changed it to a Denon 103r mc. there was a big difference. don't be afraid of moving coil!! that cart is not exactly well mated to the turntable a Denon 301mk ii might be even better.

Another option is a HOMC cartridge such as Denon DL-110 or Denon DL-160 (will run fine w/ MM phono stage). I've owned both and prefer the Denon HOMC sound profile over the OM series. Of course the effort involved in the proper setup and alignment of installing a new cartridge on your headshell / arm is a consideration vs buying the OM upgrade stylus and plugging it into your existing cartridge.

ooh, same issue here. S arm and wondering about options for upgrading my cart. Currently using a MM cart but recently got a Musical Fidelity VLPS phono stage and can now go to a MC.

I think pairing a Denon turntable with any m/c Denon cartridge is the way to go, synergy perhaps? Seems like they were made for each other. I have a DP-60L with a DL304MKI that sounds really good on the straight arm.

I think pairing a Denon turntable with any m/c Denon cartridge is the way to go, synergy perhaps? Seems like they were made for each other. I have a DP-60L with a DL304MKI that sounds really good on the straight arm.

Great match! :)

Are you using a SUT? :idea:

Great match! :)

Are you using a SUT? :idea:

Not yet, but the more I think about it the more I think I need one :). For my purposes I think a Denon AU-320 would be enough. I like the fact that it has the capacity for 2 decks and a bypass.

OP: for ease of upgrade put a Stylus 30 on the Ortofon cartridge. Pull off/push on 5 sec job. Massive upgrade from a '5'.

Not yet, but the more I think about it the more I think I need one. For my purposes I think a Denon AU-320 would be enough. I like the fact that it has the capacity for 2 decks and a bypass.

The Denon DL-304 has kind of low out put - 0.18 mV.

I am always on the look out for an inexpensive (cheap) SUT that would work with it. :)

The Denon DL-304 has kind of low out put - 0.18 mV.

I am always on the look out for an inexpensive (cheap) SUT that would work with it. :)

Just so. They do have a low output but it sounds pretty 'ok' using an Emo USP-1 pre (only one I have with a remote control and I'm lazy) but I think I can improve on it a lot with a SUT

Back
Top Bottom