Cart Advice for Denon DP-62L

I'm using a Denon 103 on my DP-62L. Outstanding!!

I can also vouch for the DL103 and the DP62L. It took me a good 20+ years to take the LOMC plunge.
I would encourage anyone into analog to try the DL103 at least once in their audio life.
It does have its faults but it's offers great if not outstanding performance especially for its relatively low price.
I'm using the S arm, tracking at 2.45g with a Denon AU320 SUT to a Benchmark DAC 2
I've also used the The Emotiva phono preamp and I thought it worked very well too.

Michael

I totally agree with the members here who suggested moving up to the OM30 stylus. I have an OM30 (and 2m Bronze) I rotate in regularly on my 59 and 72L's. The OP was questioning the difficulty of changing a cart on the removable wand, so other factors such as resetting VTA and even VTF let alone overhang and such to maximize a wholesale brand change may be more than the OP is comfortable to mess with. He could keep the OM5 stylus for used/questionable records as well. The improvement will be instantly noticeable, and he can get the OM30 stylus for less than the 2M Blue cartridge at many online outlets.

I have a Benz Micro Glider Lo in my 59l and it's amazing . Going to try an Audio Technica AT -33PTG/ii next and then my Signet MK111e cart.

When I owned a DP-59L I ran it with a Signet TK7E and also a Signet AM50s (Signet was Audio Technica's "upper-end" brand). Both were very good. The current closest equivalent would be the Audio Technica AT150MLx or AT150SA, which should do well on a DP-59L or DP-62L.

Update: I decided for the time being that I would stick with upgrading the Ortofon via new stylii. I purchased 2 from LP Gear - a 10 and a 30. I figure the 10 would be a good replacement for the existing stylus with lots of hours and the 30 would be nice on some of my cleaner stuff.

Like a kid in a candy store I tried the 30 first. WOW! What a difference. Most noticeable to me is how much the bass is enhanced and tightened. Of course it is quite clean on the rest of the range as well. Listening to Dire Straits Telegraph Road right now. Knopfler never sounded better on any gear I've owned.

I do have one problem however. I can't seem to pull the 30 back off the cart. It is a very tight fit and I am concerned about damaging it while trying to remove. My finger just slip right off as I pull - the stylus doesn't budge. Any trick I should know of??

Thanks for all who supplied advice and guidance. If it weren't for the unfriendly nature of the arm and changing carts, I probably would have tried something else (and swapped out with the Ortofon to A/B them both). I think the enhanced stylus is a good compromise.

I am using a Apature Koce HOMC on my DP52F ...sounds very good, but it has been on there 25 years...admittedly, it has been significantly underused during that period due to other hobbies. I have also found that the turntable, etc works better after what is best described as a re-break in period. Anyway, any recommendations for another HOMC which is a good match?

thanks for any opinions...

I am using a Apature Koce HOMC on my DP52F ...sounds very good, but it has been on there 25 years...admittedly, it has been significantly underused during that period due to other hobbies. I have also found that the turntable, etc works better after what is best described as a re-break in period. Anyway, any recommendations for another HOMC which is a good match?

thanks for any opinions...

Please be aware that this thread is about Denon DP-62L, information may not apply to the Denon DP-52F.

They are quite different in terms of tone arms and cartridge applications. :idea:

from LP Gear - a 10 and a 30. I figure the 10 would be a good replacement for the existing stylus with lots of hours and the 30 would be nice on some of my cleaner stuff.

I do have one problem however. I can't seem to pull the 30 back off the cart. It is a very tight fit and I am concerned about damaging it while trying to remove. My finger just slip right off as I pull - the stylus doesn't budge. Any trick I should know of??

Thanks for all who supplied advice and guidance. If it weren't for the unfriendly nature of the arm and changing carts, I probably would have tried something else (and swapped out with the Ortofon to A/B them both). I think the enhanced stylus is a good compromise.

I know you know to use the utmost care when doing this. I can only offer what I do: Pinch the sides of the stylus gently but firmly between thumb and index and wiggle the stylus up and down just a tiny bit whilst pulling it off the cartridge. I've never damaged one doing it that way and I've had some that were stuck. If that causes you to be uncomfortable, which I understand completely, then don't do it. Wait 'till someone else offers another suggestion.

I know you know to use the utmost care when doing this. I can only offer what I do: Pinch the sides of the stylus gently but firmly between thumb and index and wiggle the stylus up and down just a tiny bit whilst pulling it off the cartridge. I've never damaged one doing it that way and I've had some that were stuck. If that causes you to be uncomfortable, which I understand completely, then don't do it. Wait 'till someone else offers another suggestion.

Pull the wand off the table and flip it upside down with the stylus pointing up, that way when you wiggle on the stylus you won't have the tendency to be puling down as if it were on the table-that's where trouble can happen. You should be able to gently but quickly twist it back and forth (like you were screwing or unscrewing it in) as you pull out. It should work-I just tried that on mine again to make sure that how I did it way back when I first installed my OM30.

Update: I went ahead and got a Denon 103. Installed it last night. Got it at about 2.4 force to see how that goes. Same of course with the anti-skate and Q damping settings. Only a few albums in, but sounds great. Will report back in after it gets some hours on it.
Also sent my Denon 305 in and it got a new Saphire cantilever and new linear contact tip. I don't have the straight arm for my table so I hope it does fine on the S shaped arm. When I got the table the 305 was on it already so I am guessing it will be okay. Just a lighter tracking force suggested by Andy Kim. Will get a 2nd PCL-4 headshell so I can easily rotate between the 2 with just simple adjustments to counter weight, tracking force, ant-skate and q damping. (hopefully that will work).

I installed an Audio Technica 440MLX on my Denon DP52F about a month ago, replaced my old HOMC Apature cart. It took about 5 or 6 albums to break in, but now sounds very good. I have it set at 1.5 tracking and damping. I bought a 2d headshelll too...so my old Apature is still mounted and could be swapped in. I did find that when I put in the AT cart, I had to make significant counter weight adjustments.

Last edited:
The PCL 3 & PCL 4 are Alu and the PCL 5, PCL 6 & PCL 7 are Mg. For a cart as regal as the DL 305 you might want to consider a Mg headshell. However they're a lot of PLC 4s with that Denon satin silver finish which looks great with your Denon S tone arm. Thanks for sharing. The DL 305 is on my 'somewhere
over the rainbow' wish list.
Michael

The PCL 3 & PCL 4 are Alu and the PCL 5, PCL 6 & PCL 7 are Mg. For a cart as regal as the DL 305 you might want to consider a Mg headshell. However they're a lot of PLC 4s with that Denon satin silver finish which looks great with your Denon S tone arm. Thanks for sharing. The DL 305 is on my 'somewhere
over the rainbow' wish list.
Michael

thanks for that input on the headshells michael. Was wondering about the difference between them all. I will look for a 5-7 I guess. (My Pioneer PL-630 has an Mg headshell.) I will need to look up the weight this will translate too since I only have the s shaped arm which is specified for heavier loads.

Here is the 103.
103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom