Cartiridges for Grace 707

Butch1970

I have an older Linn that I bought without an arm, but with an armboard cut for a Grace. I just found a 707 on Ebay. Any cartridge recommendations?

Would the Dynavector 10x5 that I'll be using with my Basik LV-X arm also mate well with the Grace 707?

Also, if anyone has a link to a maunal for the Grace arm, I'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks!

The classic combo was an LP12 with a G707 and a Supex SD900.
I believe that the Supex SD900 was designed by Sugano of Koetsu fame.
I have both the arm and cart and am waiting until a good condition vallhalla LP12 shows up on my radar.

Thanks for the info, Guys!

I'll keep an eye out for a Supex. Do they have a replaceable stylus, or are they the type that would need a re-tip?

I'm going to try the Dynavector cartridge on both the Grace and a Basik LV-X.

I think Supex have been out of production for many years.

They are an MC design without a user replaceable stylus assembly.

You would need to be very careful looking at S/H ones. The unit would most probably need a retip and the suspension may need replacing as well.

The cost of this can be greater then the purchase of a new cartridge.

The G707 is a low mass arm designed originally for quadrophonic replay and a high compliance MM would work well.

The last variant of the Shure V15 would most likely have been a good match but they are made out of unobtainum now.

I must agree on the Shure V -15. That would have been a nice cart to have around :( What should I expect to pay for the V15 if I can find one?

In the meantime, I'm going to try the Dynavector on both the Grace arm and the Basik arm and see how the setups perform. Chances are that I'll be selling off one of the arms

An ADC ZLM is what I use on my Grace 707 / LP12 combination. I love it. I've also used an ADC TRX ( Very accurate and clean sounding cartridge but a bit bright and leaner in the bass than the ZLM or several variations on the XLMs) I've also used a Shure V15 V xMR which was nice but ultimately less involving than the ADCs. You will have a hard time finding a ZLM and even harder time finding a TRX. But NOS ADC XLM IIs show up regularly on ebay. If you can get one of the "improved omni-pivot" versions they are a bit, well... "improved."

You definitely want a low mass, high compliance MM that can track at 1.5 grams or preferably less to get the most out of the Grace. I enjoyed a Dynavector 10x4 MK II for a while, but on a Rega medium mass arm. I think your 10x5 will sound much better on the Linn arm

Best,

Sam

Back
Top Bottom