Cartridge advice for Thorens TD-160 MKI

Mattadmortem

Hello! New member here. Not quite an audiophile myself, but I recently received an old Thorens TD-160 MkI from my dad which was lovingly maintained until he stuck it in the attic when he replaced it with a Rega Planar 2 in the early 80's. I also got two cartridges from him; a Shure M91E and a Grado MF1+, both missing the stylus.

Am I better off just buying the much cheaper Pfanstiehl stylus for the Shure, or shelling out more money for a Grado stylus? If so, is it worth paying the 130 bucks for the silver stylus or is the difference not notable enough and I can go with something like the blue or black? The tone arm is the original stock arm, and I'm not quite ready to spend 300+ on a new one.

Thanks!

First, on the TD 160, congrats on a nice table! If it was stored that long it needs some basic maintenance.

I would remove the platter, clean out the bearing well with isopropyl and lint free cleaning swabs. Then add fresh oil. Before that I would also oil the motor at both the lower access point and at the pulley spindle taking care to work the oil in slowly. This will prevent knocking and ticking of the motor down the road.

Clean the pulley and treat the belt with power ( talcum) will prevent slippage, you may need a new belt to get accurate speed. But only Thorens belts, which cost a wee bit more.

Make sure the suspension is in good order too. Clean all electrical contacts associated with the cartridge and the rca plugs.

For the Shure, I would look at Jico first. That cartridge and the basic elliptical by Jico is quite nice. There are other options for it too.

For the Grado, the 8MZ stylus is a popular choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I've already got the new belt covered (humid eastern PA summers and winters aren't easy on old rubber) and as someone who likes to keep my old equipment in order I instinctively clean all contacts before setting anything up.

Looks like I'll be looking more into the Grado then!

Any advice on oil/lube to use for this?

Thanks for the advice, I've already got the new belt covered (humid eastern PA summers and winters aren't easy on old rubber) and as someone who likes to keep my old equipment in order I instinctively clean all contacts before setting anything up.

Looks like I'll be looking more into the Grado then!

Any advice on oil/lube to use for this?

What is the tracking force range of the Grado?

No Grado hum issues on that cart with the 160?

Best to be sure before you spend serious $ on a new stylus. Some people are more irritated by subtle hum than others.

I believe 1 to 2 grams?

If it does track at 2 grams, then it should be o.k., just a guess though. I use either a Shure V15 type lV (with stabilizing brush) or Shure M75EJ which tracks well at 2.5 grams in my TD 160. @tnsilver would know more about the TD 160 with TP16 tone-arm..

No Grado hum issues on that cart with the 160?

Best to be sure before you spend serious $ on a new stylus. Some people are more irritated by subtle hum than others.

This seems to be a point of contention. Some people report them working just fine, some people not so much. It seems to be more of a problem with their newer carts and the preamp seems to be a factor as well (I'm using an ADCOM 555)

If it does track at 2 grams, then it should be o.k., just a guess though. I use either a Shure V15 type lV (with stabilizing brush) or Shure M75EJ which tracks well at 2.5 grams in my TD 160. @tnsilver would know more about the TD 160 with TP16 tone-arm..

Thanks, I'll wait on it, do more research and see what else comes up before spending any money. I have over a month before I can get home and set this thing up anyway.

This seems to be a point of contention. Some people report them working just fine, some people not so much. It seems to be more of a problem with their newer carts and the preamp seems to be a factor as well (I'm using an ADCOM 555)

Thanks, I'll wait on it, do more research and see what else comes up before spending any money. I have over a month before I can get home and set this thing up anyway.

I think you can detect hum without the stylus if the cart is mounted on the head shell? Not sure, but it may be worth investigating.

Nice turntable! A buddy of mine runs a TD-160.

Here are some cartridges that I've found work well on the Thorens TP-16 tonearm (16.5 grams effective mass):

Nagaoka MP-110, Audio Technica AT-7V, Denon DL-110 (high output moving coil), Denon DL-103 (low output moving coil).

The DL-103 is my favorite and is what I'm currently using on my TD-125 MKII (TP-16 tonearm). Because it is a lomc cartridge, it requires a phono pre that can handle its lower output.

If you have a home with pier and beam/bouncy floors, you may need to figure in building a wall shelf for your Thorens.

Good luck.

The Grado is a bit compliant for the heavy(ish) TP16 MK1.
I know, i'm using it myself - but my TP16 is modified and lost a lot of wight.

The Denon DL110 is quite perfect, and also sounds great.

i put an LP Gear N91VL stylus on my M91E and it sounds fantastic, i really couldnt believe how good the first few times i used it it would be a great upgrade for your cart. i currently have an Ortofon OM40 on my TD-160 and that works great i am sure the 30 would be great as well, also have an AT 440mla on my spare head shell that works well with that arm and table as well.

Last edited:
I understand the compliance calculations and all that, and I follow them, but it seems many high compliant stylus where used with that arm back in the day. Shure cartridges were a popular choice.

Oh well, good news for the OP is there are many options and lots of information here on how to set that table up.
Bob

Last edited:
I have a Thorens 160 and it currently is driving a Shure Mx97. I think this is a quality cartridge/stylus at a good price.

I use Automatic Transmission Fluid in all my turntable wells.....no issues and very, very quiet. Something I picked up on this forum a while back.

I've decided I'm going to go with the Grado stylus replacement in the MF1+ and slightly lighten the tonearm through some light modification and rewiring. If I'm not pleased with the sound I'll pick up a Shure mx97... I'm liking the price on that one.

Back
Top Bottom