Cartridge and Stylus for Empire Troubadour 598 11

alanbar

We want to replace the cartridge and stylus on our Empire 598 II turntable. (Currently we have a Micro Acoustics 50 PE.) What is out there that would be the best choice?

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a single best cartridge for the 598 but I think medium compliance cartridges suit that tone-arm well. I use a couple of Shure cartridges of the EJ variety in mine and they track and sound very good.

Empire along with Grado tone arms have head shell connection problems, but if you have corrected that issue. Why not try one of Ortofons or Dynavectors HO Moving Coils. I think you will really be surprised.

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions. What I should have added was that what I prefer to buy is a cartridge and stylus that is currently in production. I am running the turntable through an Onkyo receiver and new Martin Logan 15 bookshelf speakers.

It has been suggested that I look at the Orthophon Red and Blue cartridges. Has any one had any experience with them and/or have a preference of one over the other?

I use the Ortofon Blue on three of my turntables, it is a great cartridge but have not tried it on my 598, just a little hesitant because of the chance of breaking something. The blue is light years better then the red ortofon.

I use an AT150mlx......medium compliance. Works really well with the arm and looks good too (it is gold toned)

I use the Ortofon Blue on three of my turntables, it is a great cartridge but have not tried it on my 598, just a little hesitant because of the chance of breaking something. The blue is light years better then the red ortofon.

I have just heard how delicate the wires are and don't want to open up a can of worms. I have a nice 681EEE on it now that sounds good but next time I see a Blue off price I'll pick one up for the Empire,

I have just heard how delicate the wires are and don't want to open up a can of worms. I have a nice 681EEE on it now that sounds good but next time I see a Blue off price I'll pick one up for the Empire,

For the cart on there now, you'll be going backwards with a blue. If you have an actual eee stylus, try to upgrade to the eee-s or Jico shibata, will save you money and time with setting up a new cart.

Back
Top Bottom