cartridge capacitance matching

David & gusten

Thanks for another informative explanation of the subject that I always find
a learning experience.

Around the time CD came out, things went very strange - Ortofon did a series of listening tests with "Golden eared" experts, and concluded that audiophiles preferred a rising top end - all their designs after that had that type of voicing.
Shure on the other hand concluded that audiophiles preferred a drooping top end and released their new series of cartridges (the "x" versions V15VxMR and M97xE) with an accordingly droopy top end.

I think around this same period (and presumably associated to it) was the blooming of the subjectivist school of audiophiles - adjust it till you like it, if you like it then it must be perfect....

Another excellent post David.

I'm thinking the subjectivist school was in part driven (a key driver) by the advent of The Absolute Sound in 1973. By 1980 it represented a school of thought that many manufacturers of upmarket products had to reckon with to garner sales. This subjectivist onslaught was not isolated to audio, but was part of western culture transitioning from the modern age to the post modern age. ymmv

My completion of your sentence that I bolded:

... because you're perfect.

Totally!:yes:

As I was writing that I considered adding a comment about the politically correct movement..... All part of the same social trend....just this is the audiophile manifestation of relativist thought....

Regarding the Hagerman calculator, my Signet TK7LCa has a recommended capacitive load of 250pf. Plugging that and its 550mh of inductance into the calculator yields an optimal 47K resistive load.

If I take out the capacitor and have 50pf in the cables only, the calculator says I need 105K. I guess I'll have to give this a try and see if I can discern a difference.

Back
Top Bottom