Cartridge Recommendations for AR XA

Hi marc, I'd like to hear your thoughts about overhang issues encountered by just changing the headshell collar on a stock XA/XB arm. Because of cartridge mounting point differences between an AR headshell and most JIS standard headshells, I found that I had to mount most carts all the way back in the headshell slots. Yes, I did try to move the arm wand back in the pivot but ran into problems with the wiring interfering with the drum. In and of itself, moving the cart rearward isn't a problem but it limits your view of the stylus when cueing a record. I saw snfrosten's suggestion on VE about the Technics wand swap and tried that. Because the Technics wand is about 1/3" shorter than the AR, it solved my overhang dissatisfaction. Granted, I could have used a different alignment formula but I like to keep it simple. I've also read of people having a hard time balancing the stock arm with a JIS headshell because of the extended distance.

Just my experiences and two ¢ worth.

Edit: Mea Culpa... Sorry for the hijack.
For folks having the issue balancing the arm after a wand swap, I have had a fellow make me some XA/XB heavy counterweights. 125grams. Easy peasy

Back
Top Bottom