Cartridges and questions

Fast_Eddie

Upper-middle fi
Hi All,

I have a Technics 1200 SL Mk2. I have somehow collected several cartridges, but I have some problems.

The cartridge I am using is a Stanton. The cartridge itself doesn't have any markings on it, but the stylus has the EEE III marking on it, so I assume it's 681 of some sort.

I have two other cartridges that need syli (is that the word?) One is an Acutex. It's a P mount cartridge, but I have an adaptor. The other side of the cartridge says LPM.

The other is an ADC, also a P mount. The cartridge has no other markings. It has a stylus on it, but the needle is bent! The stylus says SER-1. I found references to an ADC Series 2 and 3, but no Series 1.

Are either the Acutex or the ADC worth trying to track down a stylus for? Or is the Stanton the best of the lot. Where might I find a stulys for the others?

Thanks,

Ed

I am not a fan of using P-Mounts in adapters, but I have in the past owned Accutex carts and found them decent.

I would NOT take a chance on any stylus that I had questions on the condition. A bad stylus could ruin every record you play on it - do you really want to chance it?

If it was me, I'd mount a new cart. Else, would get a new stylus for the Stanton.

Let us know how it works out for you :)

The Stanton 681, including the EEE, is reported to have a 'warm' lower midrange; meaning, I guess, that there is a rise in its output there. No big deal, I think - just a matter of what you like.

I have the same model tt, with the KAB tonearm damper mod. The Audio Technica 440ML seems to be an excellent match.

Bob

not to hijack the thread, but:

By the way... who was Acutex? They appeared on the scene in the late 1970's at places like "Stereo Discounters" but didn't seem to last too long. Actually, I am surprised they were still viable when the P-mounts came along.

I have an Acutex cartridge that came on an SL-Q2 I found at the dump. I know virtually nothing about Acutex, so any info'd be of interest!

To get back on-topic: did you try Garage-a-Records or Needledoctor?

Back
Top Bottom