Carver 900 vs. Adcom GFA-5300

DonQuixote99

just give me some truth
I know, one's a receiver, and one's a power amp. But I'm mainly thinking of the amp part, and they have roughly comparable specs. And I find them at roughly comparable prices. What I want is comparisons of voice. Which sound gets more love?

Last edited:
Having owned several models of each Carver and Adcom gear, I prefer the Adcom sound. Of course, YMMV.

Appreciate the input, Urizen, but can you characterize each sound a bit more? What do you like better about the Adcom's?

Again, my subjective opinion, but I found every Carver I've heard and owned (save the Sunfire series) to be have a harsh top. I've never heard the GFA-5300, but owned the GFA-535 and GFA-545 and enjoyed them both.

Edit: Btw, the GFA-5300 is a power amplifier.

Last edited:
Ooooo...don't like harsh tops. Interesting, saw an opinion elsewhere that the GFA-5300 was more subdued up-top compared to the GFA-535....

Right, power amp, I knew that. I'll edit the first message so as not to confuse anyone else....

I've never heard harshness in my Carver amps (prolly just my tin ears), but I'd be inclined towards the Adcom. IIRC, the 5300 is a MOSFET design, not sure how well Adcom implemented it, though.

If you have a preamp already, I think I would choose the Adcom amplifier personally. I sold Adcom amps from 1985 till about 1993 or so and they were darn good sounding amps but I've never owned one....just played around with them on various speakers like the JBL 250ti, L100t, L80t, some Magnepans, and a few other speakers that I've forgotten. I personally own Carver amps (an M-1.0t and TFM-55) which I have absolutely no qualms with the sound quality at all....I think both sound quite musical and don't think they have a harsh high end at all.

i would have to seay but i have never owed eather and have only herd a fiew diffrent carver amplifier in a not the greatest of situations ( junk speakers or way too small of room or basement ) and thay sounded great by the way just buy looking at the build design i would pick adcom . better preamp power supply stability and all arround more current current avalible due to the larger transformer per watt seems to me thay always allowed for more headroom .
IMO i would rather have a 100 watt amp with large headroom than a 200 watt amp with lousy headroom

Having owned several models of each Carver and Adcom gear, I prefer the Adcom sound. Of course, YMMV.
+1. While I really wanted to like the Carver amp I used to own, the Adcom's I've used sounded more neutral and had much better command of the bass, both weight and extension.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the GFA-5300. Came real close to going for a GFA-535 instead, but the Stereophile reviewer disuaded me by reporting some of that dread high-end harshness in the 535.

OTOH, maybe the 5300 will be too dark.... Will report when I get it. ;)

First class amp! Smooth clear voice, a pleasure to listen to. Sold finally during one of the many reshuffles of HT equipment, but sort of wish I'd kept it.

Glad to hear. I just had my cousin pick one up for me on Craig's from @Steven72555 who priced it well. Can't wait to give it a try

Back
Top Bottom